Worst pain ever.. Dry Socket

Pages : [1] 2 3

JoMo
07-21-2005, 02:33 AM
I can't get over the intense pain a dry socket gives you. For those that don't know it's basically an open wound where you had a tooth pulled. A toothache is about 10 times less painful....

Has anyone here ever had one? If so, is there anything special you did to get rid of the pain? How long did it take to heal, or at least stop hurting as bad?

I went to the dentist Tuesday and he didn't pack it, just told me to wash it out with peroxide and saltwater, said there was no swelling but it'd hurt for a few more days.

Tylenol 3 with codiene won't get rid of the pain.... Darvacit won't get rid of the pain, the only thing I've found that gets rid of the pain is OD'ing myself on Celebrex to stop the inflamation of the nerve.

PS: No, sandpaper won't work....

DipStick
07-21-2005, 02:35 AM
sue that mother ****er

eggo
07-21-2005, 02:36 AM
hes a retard for not packing it

id give the dentist an irate phone call and demand more drugs

Swamp Kitten
07-21-2005, 02:36 AM
Dry socket means your bone is exposed dearie. If your dentist wouldn't pack it with the medicated gauze (which by the way hurts like all ****ing get out ****ing ****), then go to your oral surgeon. If you have a dry socket they pretty much have to pack it to help your body recover.

Uncle Slappy
07-21-2005, 02:44 AM
Yeah, when I had them pulled last week I was SUPER careful so no dry-socket for me and today the dentist said I'm healing very fast! :boogie:

ReCurve
07-21-2005, 02:51 AM
just a guess, you haven't really wrenched your knee yet. that one hurt so bad I puked

WorstAim
07-21-2005, 02:55 AM
I had my wisdom teeth pulled about a month ago, and ended up with 2 dry sockets. Basically a dry socket is when the blood clot between the bone, and the open gum falls out. This leaves your jaw bone exposed to the air, and it hurts like a *****, trust me, I know. THEY NEED TO PACK IT FOR IT TO HEAL. The packing tastes horrible, but is drenched in antibiotic liquid, and acts as the blood clot. It also prevents infection. You need to call him and ask for packing, because he NEEDS to pack it. If you don't get it packed, chances are the hole will not heal, you will get an infection, and the bone will continue to ache and be exposed to the air. It's very uncomfortable getting the packing put in the first time because you feel the little tweezers pushing against the bone, but the pain from the dry socket goes away within 15 minutes. I cannot stress enough that you call and demand packing. If he won't do it, go to an oral surgeon, and they will.

JoMo
07-21-2005, 03:00 AM
Well, I haven't cried or puked yet, felt like I could because the pain usually doesn't stop, and it gets on my nerves.... I've sprained my ankle really bad before and the pain went away after a day or so.

But I've been in constant pain in my mouth for almost 2 weeks now. Taking a bunch of Celebrex does help enough with the pain that I'm able to sleep, but the drawback is it ****s my stomach up and I have ass burning diahrea, even if I do eat when I take it.

I've read that dry sockets can take 40 days to heal.... As of today, it's Day 7. It has closed a little bit at the top, but I can still see the exposed root of my tooth behind the one I had pulled, and of course a little bit of the bone.

Radon006
07-21-2005, 03:10 AM
I had a nice set of dry sockets after I got my wisdom teeth pulled and it was indeed painful. I had some percosets for the first 3 days and went through them quick because I really didn't have much pain. I was unaware after being put out for surgery it takes days for the feeling to come all the way back so I used the percosets for fun. Then on day 4 I woke up after about 5 hours of sleep in intense pain. It was to the point where I was rocking back and forward kinda like after stubbing a toe etc. I think I ended up taking 10+ 500mg tylenols + about 15 advils and 10 asprins on the fifth day.

SuicideSnowman
07-21-2005, 03:14 AM
Demand some painkillers and then send them to me.

Uncle Slappy
07-21-2005, 03:17 AM
Demand some painkillers and then send them to me.

I got almost a whole bottle of vicodin, I only took 1 when I got home because I thought it would hurt. I could send you the rest.

JoMo
07-21-2005, 03:18 AM
I had my wisdom teeth pulled about a month ago, and ended up with 2 dry sockets. Basically a dry socket is when the blood clot between the bone, and the open gum falls out. This leaves your jaw bone exposed to the air, and it hurts like a *****, trust me, I know. THEY NEED TO PACK IT FOR IT TO HEAL. The packing tastes horrible, but is drenched in antibiotic liquid, and acts as the blood clot. It also prevents infection. You need to call him and ask for packing, because he NEEDS to pack it. If you don't get it packed, chances are the hole will not heal, you will get an infection, and the bone will continue to ache and be exposed to the air. It's very uncomfortable getting the packing put in the first time because you feel the little tweezers pushing against the bone, but the pain from the dry socket goes away within 15 minutes. I cannot stress enough that you call and demand packing. If he won't do it, go to an oral surgeon, and they will.

Well, it couldn't have tasted any more horrible then the taste I had Saturday-Monday..... It tasted like soured stomach, or like someone took a **** in my mouth, it was horrid.

I know it wasn't food, because I didn't eat anything but a shake Friday, and that of course melts..... The first solid food I had was Saturday evening, and I woke up with the smell/taste Saturday morning.

I went to an oral surgeon and had 2 wisdom teeth pulled, the pain subsided within 3 days and it was NOTHING compared to this. But the extraction was a lot easier and didn't require drilling the tooth into pieces and individually picking them out of the bone with a fish-hook thing.

SuicideSnowman
07-21-2005, 03:22 AM
I got almost a whole bottle of vicodin, I only took 1 when I got home because I thought it would hurt. I could send you the rest.

Free of charge? :D

JoMo
07-21-2005, 03:22 AM

Yeah, I got 4 Vicoden when I had one of my wisdom teeth out, I took them all.. even though I really didn't have pain after the 2nd day...

I've still got like 6 Tylenol 3's/codiene left.... they didn't do ****.

Uncle Slappy
07-21-2005, 03:23 AM
Free of charge? :D

I will require shipping charges of course.

Ascoe
07-21-2005, 03:23 AM
get vicodins

(slappy send me vicodins)

JoMo
07-21-2005, 03:24 AM
It was to the point where I was rocking back and forward kinda like after stubbing a toe etc. .

I do that.... as well as just walking around the house/yard in circles to lessen the pain.

[meph]DarkDonut
07-21-2005, 03:24 AM
i had one. Vicodine + advil or tylenol extra strength and the occassional perkaset(sp?) to let me sleep.

make sure you go and buy some advil gel caps and get a subscription of vicodine and take 1 vic 2 advil every time the pain becomes too bad. It'll take a couple of weeks but it'll get better.

Uncle Slappy
07-21-2005, 03:26 AM
You should probably pack it with chewing tobacco.

Radon006
07-21-2005, 03:31 AM
Oh and while we are on the topic of getting wisdom teeth taken out:

After I got mine done I couldn't eat chocolate or candy for about 6 months because it produced an ache similar to dry sockets. Also even now i've still got some problems with my mouth. About a month ago I ate some Sonic and somehow ****ed up where my right bottom wisdom tooth would be. It wasn't quite as bad as a dry socket but more like i had a cut in the back of my mouth that got worse for a few days and finally went away.

The moral of the story is that even after a successful surgery there may be lasting effects!