do stores have a right to detain you if they SUSPECT shoplifting

Pages : [1] 2 3

triple
03-06-2004, 06:14 PM
but haven't proven it yet?

like say I try to walk outside a circuit city, have stolen nothing, but they think I look suspicious and ask me to come with them. Can I say **** off and leave, or do I have to comply?

Rosdower
03-06-2004, 06:16 PM
yes, they do now. BUT they had to have seen you steal something.

orbital 123
03-06-2004, 06:16 PM
They have no legal right if you are outside the store (why should they?). And if they are wrong you could probably bring lawsuit against them.

Spiderman
03-06-2004, 06:17 PM
you must comply as long as they hold you for a reasonable amount of time (15 minutes to 30) basically untill the cops show up if they hold you for like a few hours they are breaking the law, but to anwser your questions YES they can

bishop
03-06-2004, 06:17 PM
reasonably sure you can say **** off and leave if youre outside the store

Spiderman
03-06-2004, 06:18 PM
reasonably sure you can say **** off and leave if youre outside the store
wrong

orbital 123
03-06-2004, 06:21 PM
it's probably different based on the state/province/country you are in. And honestly where in the law does it say they can do this? Citizens arrest is all I can see. I would tell them to go **** themselves.

Georb
03-06-2004, 06:25 PM
In MA they cannot touch you. If you tell them to **** off and they touch you. You have the right to sue the **** out of the store. I know The bestbuy I used to work at had a over zealous Loss Prevention manager and he touched about 3 people during christmas for suspected shoplifting. Store settled out of court for 10k each claim and he was fired after the 3rd time.

So remember If they want you to come back into the store just ask for a badge, if they cannot provide a real badge then just walk to your car and go home. They have no authority to lay a single finger on you or hold you against your will.

dlkzx
03-06-2004, 06:34 PM
i was detained at a bestbuy because i looked suspicious.. i did the "**** off" thing and they asked to see my pockets.. so i showed it to them and they ****ed off

:thumbsup:

Flunky
03-06-2004, 06:34 PM
i was detained at a bestbuy because i looked suspicious.. i did the "**** off" thing and they asked to see my pockets.. so i showed it to them and they ****ed off

:thumbsup:

you should have sued them... here's an interesting link:

http://www.crimedoctor.com/shoplifting3.htm

Putrid
03-06-2004, 06:36 PM
In MA they cannot touch you. If you tell them to **** off and they touch you. You have the right to sue the **** out of the store. I know The bestbuy I used to work at had a over zealous Loss Prevention manager and he touched about 3 people during christmas for suspected shoplifting. Store settled out of court for 10k each claim and he was fired after the 3rd time.

wow, now I know how to make 10k fast :D

bloops

Spiderman
03-06-2004, 06:38 PM

for what? :lol:

n9ne
03-06-2004, 06:40 PM

oh ****z if the CRIME DOCTOR^tm says it, thats what i have to believe

triple
03-06-2004, 06:40 PM
BTW, I don't give a **** if you are "kinda sure", have some kind of opinion on what "should" happen, I care what the law, specifically in massachusetts, actually is.

Flunky
03-06-2004, 06:42 PM
for what? :lol:

let me guess, you work at best buy or some retail store? you can easily sue them for at least defamation of character, false imprisonment/unlawful detention. I know I would...

^Vu|tuRe^
03-06-2004, 06:42 PM
nah...they cant say **** while your still in the store...they because you havetn stolen anything untill you actually leave the store...then they can follow you out the dorr and flash a badge in your face and say come with me.

Shadow13
03-06-2004, 06:43 PM
BTW, I don't give a **** if you are "kinda sure", have some kind of opinion on what "should" happen, I care what the law, specifically in massachusetts, actually is.

then look it up.

osse697
03-06-2004, 06:47 PM
but haven't proven it yet?

like say I try to walk outside a circuit city, have stolen nothing, but they think I look suspicious and ask me to come with them. Can I say **** off and leave, or do I have to comply?

in the 2 places i've worked so far in my long minimumwage work history, these people specifically instruct their employees NOT to do that, because of the legal reprucussions. they won't accuse you or naything.

that being said, if you feel you've been falsely accused/slandered/discriminated against...

P Masta Flex
03-06-2004, 06:48 PM
what happens if they try to detain me and I say **** of and leave

or if they try to stop me and I break their face wide open?

Spiderman
03-06-2004, 06:48 PM
let me guess, you work at best buy or some retail store? you can easily sue them for at least defamation of character, false imprisonment/unlawful detention. I know I would...
actually im studying law and and the only thing you could sue for would be defamation of character and you would get less than your legal bills...