Do people from Minnesota have similar accents to Canadians?

Pages : [1] 2 3

filsinger
12-09-2003, 06:57 AM
Just got off the phone with a guy who was like "Are you from Minnesota or Canada?" I was like im from Canada. Then he said that it was the accent.

I know Minnesota is northern US, but i thought Canadian accents are fairly distinct. :shrug:

Code4
12-09-2003, 06:59 AM
tell us all aboot it well ya eh?

SuicideSnowman
What's that aboot?

Edit: fu

28K Modem
They are kinda similar but Canadians have more of a thicker accent than us Minnesotan's.

Ares
12-09-2003, 07:01 AM
I hate it but whenever I hear a southern accent I automatically assume they are pretty stupid

hmm

Kurayami
12-09-2003, 07:01 AM
On a related matter, why do all Canadians have gay lisps?

SuicideSnowman
12-09-2003, 07:02 AM
See the Howard Dean thread for details.

Kurayami
12-09-2003, 07:04 AM
Because Howard Dean is backed by Al Gore?

filsinger
12-09-2003, 07:08 AM
I hate it but whenever I hear a southern accent I automatically assume they are pretty stupid

hmm

southern female *****y aol users are the WORST

Yankee
12-09-2003, 07:10 AM
Oh for cry-aye-aye, dem Minnesotans speak fooney up dere, yah hey?

Zombie
12-09-2003, 07:47 AM
No, Canadians have a different accent from Minnesotans.

Minnesota has alot of scandinavian influence on their accent.

Excel
12-09-2003, 07:48 AM
First, the guy you were talking to was an idiot that watched Fargo too many times (yes I know fargo is in Dakota. they say, in the ****ing movie, that it is minnesota however, which throws retards for a loop.)

Second, the "minnesota" accent is a media fabrication. No one I have ever met up here talks like that, not in 21 years - you know "That 70's Show"? The one in wisconsin? Yeah, that is just about dead on for the entire region. We dont say aboot, yah sure yoo betcha, or sound like poorly educated swedish immigrants.

consultant
12-09-2003, 07:50 AM

hmm

Funny thing is that is what most Southern people think about Yanks.
:lol:

Excel
12-09-2003, 07:51 AM
Funny thing is that is what most Southern people think about Yanks.
:lol:
Wait, they assume yanks are dumb because of their accents, or they assume that yanks assume the southerners are dumb because of their accents?

consultant
12-09-2003, 07:52 AM
Wait, they assume yanks are dumb because of their accents, or they assume that yanks assume the southerners are dumb because of their accents?

Jezz it is true!!

Morbid
12-09-2003, 07:55 AM
First, the guy you were talking to was an idiot that watched Fargo too many times (yes I know fargo is in Dakota. they say, in the ****ing movie, that it is minnesota however, which throws retards for a loop.)

Second, the "minnesota" accent is a media fabrication. No one I have ever met up here talks like that, not in 21 years - you know "That 70's Show"? The one in wisconsin? Yeah, that is just about dead on for the entire region. We dont say aboot, yah sure yoo betcha, or sound like poorly educated swedish immigrants.

lol this is BS. Ever been to Duluth? ****in thick ass accent. I heard "you betcha" at least twice a day. However It seems thicker in older people.

btw I was born there and lived there for 9 years.

Flunky
12-09-2003, 08:07 AM
I would say there are people who do sound like that and people that don't. The Minneapolis area is fairly built up, I am sure with plenty of transplants (god help them). It's like being in Boston - not everyone from the Boston area sounds like a dip**** New England retard, but plenty do as well. I would suggest that the movie Fargo was as much a characture of this accent as it was truth. That's what the accent SOUNDS like, but the fact that everyone in the movie sounds like that is a caracature...

Yankee
12-09-2003, 08:18 AM
yah

Ixiterra
12-09-2003, 08:27 AM
No, Canadians have a different accent from Minnesotans.

Minnesota has alot of scandinavian influence on their accent.
^^

My mom lives in La Crosse, WI, right on the MN border, and I hear people speak with what I thought was a Canadian accent all the time, until someone told me it was those damn Norwegians.

Excel
12-09-2003, 09:34 AM
lol this is BS. Ever been to Duluth? ****in thick ass accent. I heard "you betcha" at least twice a day. However It seems thicker in older people.

btw I was born there and lived there for 9 years.
Duluth doesnt count! Its not a major population center!