How does salt help heal wounds?

Pages : [1] 2

Elantri_X
12-05-2003, 09:38 PM
I've heard a lot about how ancient Romes, Egyptians and Greeks used salt over wounds to prevent infection allowing the wounds to heal. But how does it work?

My theories:
(1) It keeps the skin dry
(2) Neutralizes the PH levels
(3) Reduces the ammount of pus flowing out of the wound reducing moisture.

I'm sure I'm wrong in some/all theories, but either I suck at searching tw and google or it's rarely explaned.

HomeSlice
12-05-2003, 09:38 PM
****** semen does

Reno
12-05-2003, 09:40 PM
kills the bacteria

PsioniX
12-05-2003, 09:40 PM
it removes moisture which leads to bacteria infections

it also hurts and makes you manly

also not many things can survive salt.

-K-Crypt
12-05-2003, 10:05 PM
From what I remember it makes your body close the wound faster and cleans the area.

Fool
12-05-2003, 10:08 PM
NaCl, think about it

PigontheWing
12-05-2003, 10:09 PM
What i cant get over is when someone has a deep wound they put maggots in it to clean it. That is sick.

logmans
You guys are all wrong. The interior of bacterial cells has extremely high H2O concentration. If you salt a wound, the H20 concentration on the outside of the cells lowers, causing water to cross the bacterial membrane due to osmosis. The bacterial cells dehydrate and die.

ps. gargling salt water works for throat infections as well.

ZooL
it removes moisture which leads to bacteria infections

it also hurts and makes you manly

also not many things can survive salt.

accept ZooLs!

The ones that float!

Baby Bew
12-05-2003, 10:10 PM
You guys are all wrong. The interior of bacterial cells has extremely high H2O concentration. If you salt a wound, the H20 concentration on the outside of the cells lowers, causing water to cross the bacterial membrane due to osmosis. The bacterial cells dehydrate and die.

ding

PsioniX
12-05-2003, 10:12 PM
Why Did I Say That Not Much Can Live Through Salt?

nullper
12-05-2003, 10:14 PM
never put salt in your eye
Never
nevernevernevernever
always put salt in your eye

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW MY EYES

Ciceron
12-05-2003, 10:16 PM
What i cant get over is when someone has a deep wound they put maggots in it to clean it. That is sick.

It's gross, but they work. :shrug:

HelenKeller
12-05-2003, 10:16 PM
I've heard a lot about how ancient Romes, Egyptians and Greeks used salt over wounds to prevent infection allowing the wounds to heal.

:p

PigontheWing
12-05-2003, 10:18 PM
Never
nevernevernevernever
always put salt in your eye

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW MY EYES

KITH rules

Realjones
12-05-2003, 10:20 PM

maggots only eat dead tissue, so they can clean out a wound like no other. They also get rid of bacteria in the wound.

Xapz
12-05-2003, 10:20 PM

Also, the Cl cleaves cell walls in most commensal(typical to your body) bacteria.

The only problem would really arise if you have some salt resistant bacteria which don't really occur much outside of really odd environments (actually a completely different class of organisms called archaea)

logmans
12-05-2003, 10:22 PM
The only problem would really arise if you have some salt resistant bacteria which don't really occur much outside of really odd environments (actually a completely different class of organisms called archaea)

yeh most people don't hang out in thermal oceanic vents ;)

Fool
When I worked as a lifeguard, I'd put any cut I got into the chlorine vats. Healed em right up

bonepuppet
NaCl, think about it
thanks, i was beginning to worry about the iq here