Damn QuikTrip to Hell!

OtisPAB
04-26-2003, 06:21 PM
I went into to QuikTrip (a chain convenience store that just put a location in here) to buy some cigs. They card me, no problem, I'm of age. But the clerk glances at my ID and says he can't sell me cigs with an out-of-state DL. I'm a college student, and not technically a resident here in Texas, so I have no Texas DL. I get pretty agitated and he informs me that it's State Law.

I didn't buy this. If it was actually state law, then tons of places around here break it on a regular basis. So, I decide to hop on the interweb and investigate. Sure enough, I'm correct.

Taken from: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/he/he0016100.html#he059.161. 251

161.083. Sale of Cigarettes or Tobacco Products to Persons Younger Than 27 Years of Age

(a) Pursuant to federal regulation under 21 C.F.R. Section 897.14(b), a person may not sell, give, or cause to be sold or given a cigarette or tobacco product to someone who is younger than 27 years of age unless the person to whom the cigarette or tobacco product was sold or given presents an apparently valid proof of identification.

(e) A proof of identification satisfies the requirements of Subsection (d) if it contains a physical description and photograph consistent with the person's appearance, purports to establish that the person is 18 years of age or older, and was issued by a governmental agency. The proof of identification may include a driver's license issued by this state or another state, a passport, or an identification card issued by a state or the federal government.

I'm thinking that either he knew that it wasn't state law, and just didn't want me *****ing at him/the store about it or is just misinformed. Interestingly enough, I was carded there by a different employee with no problems. I assume they can refuse to sell, but saying a stupid store policy is a "state law" pisses me off. So, I'm tempted to go discuss this finding of mine with the staff. I want to be able to use QT for all my convenience store needs. It's a huge store with a bunch of clean cut english speaking people working for there. What do you guys think?

Geck0
04-26-2003, 06:23 PM
Just print that **** out and carry it in your wallet. Chances are that they cant read anyway but the state seal will convince them.

Or give up smoking

Or shop somewhere else.

JohnnyX
04-26-2003, 06:24 PM
Sounds like the guy thought it was a fake ID and just didn't want to sell you cigs.

Do you look 18?

Bad_CRC
04-26-2003, 06:26 PM
most states if the clerk sells you cigarettes and you aren't legal, the clerk gets screwed.

I don't blame him.

Zanthious
04-26-2003, 06:27 PM
same thing happened to me.. Same State..

-ReP-
04-26-2003, 06:35 PM
Similar story out gambling last night... sat down at a blackjack table and got carded (as usual). I still have a out of state license and it took the dealer, the pit boss, a security guy, a waitress, and another security guy to finally let me play (and I'm gonna be 30 this year).

BTW I quadrupled my money and left :p

OtisPAB
04-26-2003, 06:41 PM
most states if the clerk sells you cigarettes and you aren't legal, the clerk gets screwed.

I don't blame him.

If he thought it was fake, he should have said so. If it's store policy, it sucks, but I can understand. He explicitly told me it was state law and it's not. That's why I'm disgruntled and considering pointing this out to him. He either lied or is misinformed. :shrug:

-ReP-
04-26-2003, 06:43 PM
a molotov cocktail sounds in order

murph8dog
04-26-2003, 06:45 PM
i'm pretty sure that's not true. if you show a fake ID the clerk really can't be responsible for knowing if it's fake. i mean if you're a 20 year old chick and you hand him a fake that's a 38 year old black man then he'd probably be somewhat responsible. but as long as they give you identification and you judge it to be legal and valid i think you're safe. clerks aren't trained in how to recognize a fake.
and an out of state id is legal and valid in any state so you're wrong anyway :p

ps
him saying he can't accept it is like if you got pulled over and the cop said it was illegal for you to drive in that state :rolleyes:

haniblecter
04-26-2003, 06:45 PM
Pics of you, you could look like some baby face boy.

Gangrel
04-26-2003, 06:51 PM
uh yes the clerk does get screwed
possibly the store as well

they can be fined and have liscenses revoked

OtisPAB
04-26-2003, 06:52 PM
Pics of you, you could look like some baby face boy.

I don't have any pics :shrug: I'm 20, and I think I look reasonably my age. I'm 6'2" and lanky. I get carded about half the places I go to, probably. Regardless, (d) if it contains a physical description and photograph consistent with the person's appearance, purports to establish that the person is 18 years of age or older, and was issued by a governmental agency.

I have a state issued DL that fits those requirements. Again, I assume they can legally have a store policy against taking out of state licenses, but they shouldn't veil it as a state law.