QQ: Once you've been sued you cannot get sued again? can you?!

Razster
11-07-2002, 02:39 PM
Can you? or not? Post link so I can show my friend.

Bacardi
11-07-2002, 02:40 PM
yes (http://www.yes.com)

Anguish
11-07-2002, 02:40 PM
if you're convicted for a crime, you can't be sued for the crime again :o

if you're found innocent, they can appeal

Colosus
11-07-2002, 02:41 PM
Depends what the suit is. Double jeopardy usually only takes place in criminal suits as civil has so many laws that any given crime can fall under.

Razster
11-07-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Bacardi
yes (http://www.yes.com) Explain.

Bacardi
11-07-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Razster
Explain. read col and ang's explanations. or give a few more details than "been sued"

ZugZug
You can only be tried once for the same crime. You aren't sued in a criminal trial.

[MoM] Gort
A plantiff in a case can always appeal a decision, but that's not the same as suing a second time. I don't believe you can be sued by the same person for the same crime.

Codect
11-07-2002, 02:43 PM
you can be tried 1000000 times, if its a civil case

Double Jeopardy only applies to criminal

HeckeL
11-07-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Anguish
if you're convicted for a crime, you can't be sued for the crime again :o

if you're found innocent, they can appeal

what? You are confused! criminal litigation does not = civil litigation (being sued)

Colosus
11-07-2002, 02:53 PM
You can't be sued twice by the same person for the same crime. They can submit an appeal, but that's not the same thing.

Bacardi
11-07-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Colosus
You can't be sued twice by the same person for the same crime. They can submit an appeal, but that's not the same thing. i dont think you can be sued twice by 2 different people for the same thing..???

Colosus
11-07-2002, 02:56 PM
Actually you can. Take a civil case for a product. If you're a company and someone sues you for making a product that causes hair loss, another person can come along and sue you for the same thing.

Class action suits are just an easier way, but people can sue you separately.

Bacardi
11-07-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Colosus
Actually you can. Take a civil case for a product. If you're a company and someone sues you for making a product that causes hair loss, another person can come along and sue you for the same thing.

Class action suits are just an easier way, but people can sue you separately. no thats 2 different charges. x is charging for x's hair loss, y is charging for y's hair loss. y cant sue for x's hair loss.

but yes, class action suits are easier.

Iced
11-07-2002, 02:58 PM
ppl definitly can sue you seperatly for the same thing. Look at Worldcom. How many lawsuits do they have against them right now?

iNVAR
Yikes. It's plain and simple. In a criminal case, you can not be tried twice for the same crime in a criminal court. That is what double jeopardy is.

Anything else is a-okay.

blackie420rx
You cannot be sued by the same person for the same crime/reason, but you CAN be sued by the same person for the same event.
Ex: I got sued by a woman at the post office because my dog bit her. She sued me for hospital bills, and emotional damage. She got $4500.00 from me. Then, she turned around and sued me for neglect and harboring a vicious animal. Fortunately, the judge determined that I was not neglectful, because the electric fence had been hit by lightning that day, and I got off, but she was trying to sue me for $25,000 (total bull**** number).
Unless someone is a stupid **** ***** though, they usually will only go through the effort of trying to sue you once.

Blackie

Iced
ok yeah well then I guess each state is suing because they lost money. I guess that is two differnt things cuz 2 differnt states got ripped... k.

Colosus
11-07-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Bacardi
no thats 2 different charges. x is charging for x's hair loss, y is charging for y's hair loss. y cant sue for x's hair loss.

but yes, class action suits are easier.

You are right.

Bacardi
11-07-2002, 03:00 PM
edit: :) yay my business law class finally pays off. wait till i tell my prof all the people i helped out at tw.Originally posted by blackie420rx
You cannot be sued by the same person for the same crime/reason, but you CAN be sued by the same person for the same event. yes that can happen.ok yeah well then I guess each state is suing because they lost money. I guess that is two differnt things cuz 2 differnt states got ripped... k.nod

fyi. its one of the fallicies of double jeopardy the movie. ashley judd (i think?) can actually be arrested if she killed the guy a "second" time because it occurs at a different time and place.