t-97531 just for the tech guys right now [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

just for the tech guys right now

Pages : [1] 2

Scourge
12-11-2001, 09:46 PM
OK, testing this script currently to see what goes down before I 'officially' open it. It basically is a desktops database, you can figure it out pretty quickly.

Note that the default page is not supposed to have active next/back links, it exists to show the 10 latest results, not to navigate. You can navigate after clicking something.

Also note that you wont see your submission right away, there's an admin queue
www.tribalwar.com/desktops

dont post this in GT either, if it breaks the server we'll find out before everyone hits it.

wozzeck
12-11-2001, 10:01 PM
taking a looksie

proton
12-11-2001, 10:06 PM
Scourge I submitted one..I think its a bit big though, is 515KB okay?

And it was my whole desktop, not just my wallpaper... :D

Nice coding though, works great.

Scourge
12-11-2001, 10:50 PM
yeah, the idea is to submit your desktop, its sort of like the desktop posts. I might run a file checking thing in there, but I think it wont be necessary unless we get some that're too big.

PageMap
12-12-2001, 02:03 AM
maybe something you should code in there is to only allow jpg, png, that way you dont get the dummies that upload bitmaps.

Vurt
12-12-2001, 07:33 AM
Nice one

Scourge
12-12-2001, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by PageMap
maybe something you should code in there is to only allow jpg, png, that way you dont get the dummies that upload bitmaps.

already in there, cept it's jpg gif, because I found out that resizing png doesnt work (it automatically makes a thumbnail for you)

Scourge
12-12-2001, 04:33 PM
bump.. I want to see over 10.

Darkness
12-12-2001, 05:19 PM
l33t

Scourge
12-12-2001, 05:21 PM
nice desktops darkness

CooLGuY
12-12-2001, 05:21 PM
its nice but if you can
Add a link to the real pic so we can start to use the ones we like =P

Darkness
12-12-2001, 05:25 PM
yes it could use a place to put, where u got the background or theme from...

Moker
12-12-2001, 06:01 PM
So you'll only ever be able to enter your desktop once?

Would there be a way to overwrite your existing entry if you choose to?

Scourge
12-12-2001, 06:55 PM
what the **** did you just ask for coolguy?
Darkness: there are two fairly open fields there, if someone wants to say where they got it from I'm not going to stop them, as it stands it doesnt need a brand new field for it.

Moker: The idea is to create a desktops archive, not to give everyone a certain amount of space for a desktop. That said, you upload as many desktops as you have, and the archive keeps growing. When you get a new one, you put a new one in.

FastAttack
12-12-2001, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Scourge
what the **** did you just ask for coolguy?

What I think he means.. be able to download the bitmap and/ or the theme to use with xp , litestep ,etc.

shery
12-12-2001, 09:57 PM
thats very sweet... desktops right now over there are smart too

CandyMan
12-12-2001, 11:14 PM
I can put some space up online to host the backgrounds and themes and such to keep the bandwidth off tw if anyone wants.
and everyone seems interested in my bg's for some reason...

Scourge
12-12-2001, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by FastAttack

What I think he means.. be able to download the bitmap and/ or the theme to use with xp , litestep ,etc.

Nah, tw isnt going to use the server space we've got to host every little thing that people use for their desktop. If you have questions or you want something from a user you can send them an e-mail, shouldnt be too tricky.

As to putting a space for this: That's what I intended for the apps field. I tried to consolidate "where did you get your skin" "where did you get your theme" "where did you get your wallpaper" etc. into one. I dont think it's necessary for more than that.

Besides, I doubt many people are really interested in uploading their theme or skins, I dont even have my skins and themes packed anymore, I wouldnt bother anyway.

TW will host the desktop pics, got that set up. Connections to Ty's servers would be a very strange setup, that'd take some tricky work.

Darkpoint
12-13-2001, 01:53 AM
whatever happened to the one I submitted?

[meph]DooM!
12-13-2001, 06:22 AM
maybe they get put in a queue. minez not up either