t-95241 Why We Don't Celebrate Christmas ... [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

Why We Don't Celebrate Christmas ...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Bounty
12-03-2001, 07:09 AM
Well, at least the commercial aspect of it.

Kahlan and I have decided that, for pretty much the rest of our lives, we're not going to buy Christmas presents -- for anyone.

We're also asking our families not to buy us anything, or at least not to feel obligated to do so.

Basically, we feel that Christmas has become a commercial feeding-frenzy that creates unneeded stress, worry and frustration.

Every year I've battled the shopping malls trying to find the right gifts for people, spending money for no other reason than it was expected of me.

To me, a gift should be something from the heart, and it means more if given for no other reason than love. Christmas, for me, just nullifies the entire concept of sending a gift out of love. Nowadays it's become, for us, sending a gift because our families, our nation and the corporations that dominate our society expect us to.

No more, I say! ;)

We're also not going to teach our children, when we have them, about Santa Claus. We feel it's a big lie, and we want to imbue our children with a sense of uncompromised trust in their parents.

I laughed my butt off when Jen and I were talking about it, and she said: "Figure this -- you teach your kids about Santa Claus, and they believe it. Then, about the time they hit puberty and are old enough to figure out that there is no Santa Claus, they're also incidentally learning about sex. Now, do you really think that's the best time to find out that their parents have been outright LYING to them for their entire lives???" :lol:

(Disclaimer: for the flamers who think this is stupid, or ignorant, I say **** off, because you probably haven't given it much thought, and I don't give a **** what you think anyway. To everyone else: <3 Thanks.)

While we won't be celebrating the commercial aspect of the holiday, I think we will still celebrate the spiritual side of it. For many religions, this time of year is a wonderful time when we should celebrate the miracle of family and friends.

I still love Christmas songs, and will teach them to my kids -- with the disclaimer that none of them are about true events (i.e. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer).

In lieu of gifts for Christmas, we plan to spread the gifts out over the course of a year, giving them to our children when we think they deserve them, and when we just want to give them a token of our love. I think that, for us, that means a hell of a lot more.

Anyway, these are just my opinions. I don't think less of anyone who celebrates the holidays, and hope the reverse is true. In fact, I wish all of you a Happy Holidays in advance, and hope the rest of this year is filled with :heart: for all of you!

Ire
12-03-2001, 07:10 AM
gay

consultant
12-03-2001, 07:12 AM
To give is better than to recieve.

If noone gives who will recieve?

Flawed thinking. Have fun.

Glen
12-03-2001, 07:12 AM
I an atheist and I think that's gay ;)

shery
12-03-2001, 07:13 AM
I dunno.. I think theres still someway in which you can give a gift.. like maybe if you were to get a whole bunch of wood, and then to carve something out of it for someone.. I dunno.. things like that.

Cheater
Too long, didn't read it....you Christmas present will be in the mail this afternoon.

Love,
SantaClaus

][rIdIum
Bah, Humbug !!!

Ire
12-03-2001, 07:15 AM
you could always just become a jehovas witness.. they dont celebrate christmas.... :]

SuicideTaxi
12-03-2001, 07:15 AM
****ing communist

DipStick
12-03-2001, 07:16 AM
To each his own....I can understand not buying presents for family...but not buying stuff for kids during Christmas is crazy...all the cool stuff comes out then AND it is cheaper than it normally would be...

Falhawk
12-03-2001, 07:20 AM
Bounty I understand what you're saying, but also think about the ridicule the kid is going to get.

free
12-03-2001, 07:21 AM
i'm glad i don't want. wanting was cool when i was 12, but it gets bored.

any gifts i buy, i buy for a reason, not to just give someone something.

and never only for a holiday.

DipStick
12-03-2001, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Falhawk
Bounty I understand what you're saying, but also think about the ridicule the kid is going to get. I thought of that too...BUT its no different than Jewish people celebrating Hannukuh. IMO

Bounty
12-03-2001, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Falhawk
Bounty I understand what you're saying, but also think about the ridicule the kid is going to get.

If my kids get ridiculed, then I'll teach them to tell the teasing kids: "Guess what? There's no Santa! That's right mother****er - it's just your parents!"

Then I'll have my kids smash the other kid's ****.

j/k ;)

Actually, I'm hoping that I'll be able to teach my children that their self-worth is not determined by the thoughts of others, much as I feel today. If others have a problem with it, then hopefully my children will just laugh and shrug it off.

When others laugh at you, it says more about the person laughing, and not so much about you.

But then again, most ignorant people wouldn't understand that.

free
12-03-2001, 07:24 AM
$10 says bounty's kid is in therapy by the time he's twenty.

edit: not because of a lack of christmas experience, but simply because bounty is his father. :|

Bounty
12-03-2001, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Soulginder_X
I dunno.. I think theres still someway in which you can give a gift.. like maybe if you were to get a whole bunch of wood, and then to carve something out of it for someone.. I dunno.. things like that.

Sure - I probably will do that. On days that gifts aren't mandated by society. ;)

Bounty
12-03-2001, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by free
$10 says bounty's kid is in therapy by the time he's twenty.

edit: not because of a lack of christmas experience, but simply because bounty is his father. :|

:lol:

I'll probably have my kids seeing a therapist by the time they're 10, just because I am a strong believer in the theraputic process and want them to have every opportunity for a healthy childhood.

DipStick
12-03-2001, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Bounty
Actually, I'm hoping that I'll be able to teach my children that their self-worth is not determined by the thoughts of others, much as I feel today. If others have a problem with it, then hopefully my children will just laugh and shrug it off.

When others laugh at you, it says more about the person laughing, and not so much about you.

But then again, most ignorant people wouldn't understand that. I think that is a very noble idea...but I dont think it is realistic. EVERY kid goes through the stage where they react to what other kids say about them...they WANT to be accepted even though for some it is impossible. each kid has to learn themselves, through your leadership ofcourse, that their self worth is not determined by others...but still...they have to figure it out themselves...Its not something you tell them. blah..I dunno...i just think it is impossible to condition a kid at a young age to "shrug" off ridicule from others...Its a nice idea though ;)

Falhawk
12-03-2001, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Bounty

But then again, most ignorant people wouldn't understand that.

Yeah I understand what you're saying here. I think many parents start out with that in mind. Its just extremely difficult to do that at young ages. Often times they have no concept of what others think of them, so to tell them that it doesn't matter will just roll off the shoulder. Then when they get a bit older 8-10 it will start to happen and it will be much more difficult to explain to them that they don't need to care.

Raven
12-03-2001, 07:32 AM
I was always taught that Santa was a myth. My parents told me it was a fun story.
I was the kid in first grade who spilled the beans. ;\