Why We Don't Celebrate Christmas ...

DipStick said:
Lying is proven to be an essential part of society...you would be doing your children a disservice by teaching them lying is wrong in EVERY situation...

Try making it "happily" through a relationship without ever telling a lie...

"Honey....do these pants make my ass look fat?" This is fact!

Bad example. That's not a lie. That's a survival tactic.

SarcaStick said:
Being a dad, I understand what you are trying to get at Bounty. I don't want my son screwing up as I did. It has a lot to do with parenting. Remember though, you can't be there 150% of the time because your kids will (unfortunately) have to make decisions on their own while when you can't be around to make them for them. (ex. school)

Yeah, I know -- that is one of the hardest things to come to terms with, as a parent, from what I understand from others who have children.

Like I said, I think the best I can do is give them the tools to deal with those situations as best as possible when they arise.

So, if we live in Compton, I guess I'll buy them 9mm Glocks. :D

Our society for thousands of years has been dictated by what the majority is doing. You can't teach a child nothing but love in peace in a world dominated by strife and sin.

You want to teach your kid that loving others is the thing to do and to shrug off ridicule and teasing. But their just young children. They can't understand fully.

You can spank their ass when they run in the street. Try your hardest to get them to do their homework. Tell them what they can and can't do. But the one think you Can't do is tell them what to think.

What happens in kindergarten on that first day after thanksgiving when everyones talking about what presents they want for xmas. Its a wonderful childish fever. They don't understand the religious aspect really. But you can teach it to them every year and as they grow older they will learn to believe in it as you have tought.

Like others have said, to deny them that leads them to be ridiculed. And no matter what you think you will have a hard time telling your child to ignore them. It will go in one ear and out the other. They won't be developed mentally enough to understand the concept usually.

Teach your children what christmas is. Don't just give them gifts. Read them the usual christmas stories, but tell them over and over that their recieving this gift because you love them. Most people, especially fathers don't tell their children that they love them.

Let you kid enjoy the same as everyone else in society. But do what others don't: Teach him. But remember its a child. Your child, and it takes years to develop our own moral guidlines.

Bounty says:
Like I said, I think the best I can do is give them the tools to deal with those situations as best as possible when they arise.

So, if we live in Compton, I guess I'll buy them 9mm Glocks.

:rofl:

DipStick said:
Lying is proven to be an essential part of society...you would be doing your children a disservice by teaching them lying is wrong in EVERY situation...

Try making it "happily" through a relationship without ever telling a lie...

"Honey....do these pants make my ass look fat?" This is fact!

Actually, Jen and I are doing quite well in our relationship without lying to each other.

I often tell her that I think an outfit looks hideous on her. She realizes that it's not a reflection on her, but only my beliefs. I think that's something many couples have a hard time understanding.

Just because I think something, doesn't make it true. It's just what I think.

If I can't honestly tell her what I think, then what kind of relationship would we have?

If she asked me if pants made her look fatter, and they did, I would say, "Yeah, they kind of do. Why don't you try on those other jeans? They're more slimming." -- And this does happen, almost every time we go out somewhere.

Of course, if you're going to be honest all the time, you have to be tactful -- but that just takes practice. ;)

That is one of the saddest things I have ever heard, Bounty. I pity your children.

Although, if you are going to deprive them of something like Santa Claus, at least be consistent in your beliefes and dont teach, or allow anything that is a "big lie" as you put it. That goes for the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, but MAINLY fictional stories that show some account of fantasy, as in, but not limited too, Harry Potter, Disney Movies, Cartoons, ETC ETC.

If you are not CONSISTENT in your beliefs, than how can do something as complex as teaching a child about life?

Let alone living a life of your own that is so rich with hipocracy.

You really have no idea how selfish you are being :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gl with raising children in that environment.... and be prepared to send alot of gifts back... because your family isn't going to comply with your new idea about christmas. This is obviously coming from two self-centered twenty somethings that have no clue about children.. even though they aren't that far removed from being children themselves.

You've dropped from the upper third of intelligence to the lower third in one thread bountay.

Of course it would take more work to make presents than buy them... so just make the kids wait throughout the year for presents that you are going to find other reasons to not give them.

Maniacal said:
That is one of the saddest things I have ever heard, Bounty. I pity your children.

Although, if you are going to deprive them of something like Santa Claus, at least be consistent in your beliefes and dont teach, or allow anything that is a "big lie" as you put it. That goes for the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, but MAINLY fictional stories that show some account of fantasy, as in, but not limited too, Harry Potter, Disney Movies, Cartoons, ETC ETC.

If you are not CONSISTENT in your beliefs, than how can do something as complex as teaching a child about life?

Let alone living a life of your own that is so rich with hipocracy.

I agree. They won't be taught those things either. And by the way, Disney is the Evil Empire. Thought you should know. hehehe

I plan on being consistent -- that's one of the most important aspects of parenting, IMHO.

And I actually will tell my children about Santa, faeires and dragons -- but I will also tell them that, as far as we know, they don't actually exist and are just stories.

Hypocracy is one thing I do not want to exist in my household.

That's the longest excuse I've ever read from anyone too cheap to buy me a christmas gift.

SarcaStick said:
:rofl: I see the hesitation there.

keyword: kind of ;)

Well, yeah, that's the "tactful" part I was mentioning.

I think that if I told her, "Damn, you look like a fucking cow in those jeans!" she would completely smash my fuck. :D

Kingky said:
You really have no idea how selfish you are being :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gl with raising children in that environment.... and be prepared to send alot of gifts back... because your family isn't going to comply with your new idea about christmas. This is obviously coming from two self-centered twenty somethings that have no clue about children.. even though they aren't that far removed from being children themselves.

You've dropped from the upper third of intelligence to the lower third in one thread bountay.

Of course it would take more work to make presents than buy them... so just make the kids wait throughout the year for presents that you are going to find other reasons to not give them.

And I think you're a condescending, arrogant and rude person. But that's okay, because it's just my belief.

You know nothing about me, my family or my fiance, and are in no position to judge what anybody in my family would do. You simply don't know, and if you believe you do, then I think you're being unrealistically arrogant.

Bad_CRC said:
That's the longest excuse I've ever read from anyone too cheap to buy me a christmas gift.

I wouldn't buy you anything anyway, CRC. You're a bad, bad boy, and Santa knows it. :)

Kingky said:
This is obviously coming from two self-centered twenty somethings ...
P.S. I thought I should mention that we believe being "self-centered" is a positive thing. We think people SHOULD center on themselves, because that's where it all starts. If you don't love yourself, you cannot truly love others.

I think the word you're looking for is "ego-centric." But I could be wrong.

P.S. Sorry if I sounded harsh in my last post, but your comments rubbed me the wrong way.

Back