t-75534 Linksys Router Issue, help? [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

Linksys Router Issue, help?

Pages : [1] 2

SaintDude
09-16-2001, 05:03 PM
Hey guys,

I have a Linksys router for my DSL connection and the thing is getting to be a pain in the ass. It works for normal surfing and email. Tribes isn't an issue. Most programs work without issue actually.

Two programs, the new Castle Wolfenstein and Roger Wilco, pukes the router quite nicely. When I run either program it just kills the connection. Local lan is OK but anything to the outside world can't be connected to until I reset the entire router. After resetting my connection is perfect once again.

I've tried port forwarding as well as setting up my system for DMZ. No dice at all. It's firmware is up to the latest as well.

Anyone run into an issue like this? Please help. I'm already past the return policy for CompUSA. :(

HelenKeller
09-16-2001, 05:05 PM
did u dl the latest support from their website?

Skibbi9
09-16-2001, 05:08 PM
HAHA./

Linksys.

j/k. Something to do with the firmware.

SaintDude
09-16-2001, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by HelenKeller
did u dl the latest support from their website?

:huh:

If you mean router firmware then yes. I've also done some searching on their support site. Unless I missed it there's nothing there that'll help.

I can understand not being able to make a connection if your ports aren't setup correctly but taking out the router so no traffic can get through is really annoying. :(

Metropolis
09-16-2001, 05:17 PM
I've posted this 100 times and i guess i will once more.

Linksys is ****. Period. I had one for 2 months and it was the worst piece of hardware i ever bought. I got firmware e-mailed to me on 3 seperate occasions, once by a firmware engineer himself, not some $5 phone support tech. They just can't figure out how to do anything right.

I bought a SMC Barricade on the advice of some Quake forum I read, since those guys are MEGA picky about their hardware. The thing ****ing owns. For $100 (i had a rebate) I got a 4 port router that also has a built in printer port AND serial port. You can hook up a regular printer to it and share it amongst your entire network without having to have and particular computer on. You can also share a 56k modem (eek) if you had to, in case of broadband being down etc.

The thing works like a charm and has much better management features than the Linksys. It also has the highest LAN throughput of any router in it's class.

http://www.practicallynetworked. com

Check out what they gotta say about it.

Good Luck.

King
09-16-2001, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Metropolis
I've posted this 100 times and i guess i will once more.

Linksys is ****. Period. I had one for 2 months and it was the worst piece of hardware i ever bought. I got firmware e-mailed to me on 3 seperate occasions, once by a firmware engineer himself, not some $5 phone support tech. They just can't figure out how to do anything right.

I bought a SMC Barricade on the advice of some Quake forum I read, since those guys are MEGA picky about their hardware. The thing ****ing owns. For $100 (i had a rebate) I got a 4 port router that also has a built in printer port AND serial port. You can hook up a regular printer to it and share it amongst your entire network without having to have and particular computer on. You can also share a 56k modem (eek) if you had to, in case of broadband being down etc.

The thing works like a charm and has much better management features than the Linksys. It also has the highest LAN throughput of any router in it's class.

http://www.practicallynetworked. com

Check out what they gotta say about it.

Good Luck.

Interesting...how come mine has worked flawlessly if they are ****? Don't bad mouth a company because you are to stupid to figure out how to operate it properly.

Core
09-16-2001, 05:41 PM
Ditto - mine works fine. The only thing I can't do is DCC send in IRC but that's because I'm too stupid to figure out why.

SaintDude
09-16-2001, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by King
Interesting...how come mine has worked flawlessly if they are ****? Don't bad mouth a company because you are to stupid to figure out how to operate it properly.

King the thing is the more digging I'm doing the more I hear that Linksys makes crap routers. By the way I do know a bit about networking gear. I do this stuff for a living in an office environment. The linksys router is the first I've come across to have any issues like this.

SaintDude
09-16-2001, 05:55 PM
WTF .... hey admin. Why the hell did you move my post? Now no one will see it. Thanks a lot. I appreciate the new forum but I posted in the general area for a REASON.

Not like people are talking about Tribes there much right now anyways. :rolleyes:

graveedave
09-16-2001, 06:18 PM
when does the problem occur during wolf and roger wilco?

if it is during the server list refresh and when you use roger wilco with a lot of people then it might be something that i know plagued the netgear rt 314, the connection times out because you have too many open connections. they used to limit how many open connections you could have on those routers so when you went to refresh you server list in halflife it would timeout because it was trying to connect to hundreds of servers, so then you would time out and have to reset the router

i'm not sure if this is where you are having problems but if that is it netgear fixed it with a firmware upgrade, last i heard linky had most of their issues resolved with their firmware so i would make sure i have the latest firmware

www.practicallynetworked. com has some of the best info about home routers and i would check them out

PageMap
09-16-2001, 06:23 PM
My linksys router is a POS. Whenever a couple people on the campus lan attempt to grab some stuff from my ftp, after about 3 minutes it will lock up requiring a reset. I absolutely hate this piece of crap. It is the worst piece of electronic gear I own. Nevertheless its getting replaced soon by an SMC or a netgear.

Metropolis
09-16-2001, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by King

You ****ing tool. I teach networking in a private school.
Win2k, Cisco, Etc. I know wtf I am talking about. Linksys started with a ****ing piece of **** board and on top of it has ****in monkey's writing their firmware. You keep on upgrading your ****ty firmware every week, mine worked out of the box. Can you say that with your ****ty Linksys?

Operate it properly. Heh.

Drrag0n
09-16-2001, 08:48 PM
my linksys runs fine, linksys is not ****, you are

CandyMan
09-16-2001, 09:45 PM
Who is the tool exactly?

Metro, here is a tiny hint for you..

the linksys, smc, and netgear all use the same controller chip from Zyxel...

The firmware and interface for the controller board is different for each company, but it's the same controller and chipset.

How do i know? Because the company I work for helped Zyxel ****ing design the damn thing to work with our products. We have tons of each of them on hand at work and they all work just about the same. it's a matter of how you want to edit the config files... the nice gui interface, command line or the old fashion way of logging into the monitor port and editing it yourself to tweak things you normally dont have access to.

BTW, just because you teach something, doesnt mean you know it. I have more certifications than you can shake a stick at, but that doesnt mean i'm proficient in some of them any more...

*edit* typo's suck :/

Scourge
09-16-2001, 09:50 PM
owned. I think the tard kill applies nicely here:
:ftardkill

Darkpoint
09-17-2001, 07:16 AM
Still, for some odd reason if nothing else, linksys = suck, just like several other hw companies. (which I can't remember now, cuz it's 5am and I'm really tired) I had a linksys lan card that would freeze my comp up while playing t1.

Skei
09-17-2001, 07:24 AM
best type of firewall/router can be found here http://www.betabites.com/features/editorial/FreeBSD_FR.html

Uncomfortable Wetness
09-17-2001, 11:08 AM
My linksys rtr works fine. I think I've had to reboot it like twice in a year. It's all about the port forwarding/DMZ. =/

Krobar
10-19-2003, 01:36 PM
well none of these replies really helped, so here's my reason for the bump:

****, wtf, ok, I was paying 7 bucks a month for an extra IP from Cox, had a crossover cable connecting my cable modem to my switch, then Lisa's laptop and my pc both plugged into the switch. Everything worked fine, just no security other than software firewalls (which got annoying). So I finally picked up a router, got a Linksys BEFSR41 (made by cisco) and it's configured properly (to the best of my knowledge) and everything works great EXCEPT for BT!@#!@# It connects ok eventually now that I have the ports opened, but after 15-20 minutes I lose my internet entirely, aim disconnects, webpages won't load, can't ping anything. When I go into the router config at that point it says the IP info, but when I refresh or release/renew in the config it goes to all 0.0.0.0 until I unplug the router and let it power back on...after which it works fine. HELP!

this sounds a lot like what SaintDude's problems were, but I dunno, any ideas? I just bought it yesterday and I *could* go try to take it back and get a netgear maybe, but I know people have this and they work fine for them :hrm:

iNVAR
10-19-2003, 01:39 PM
sorry, i have to agree with metropolis' post way up about linksys being ****. dlink is also ****.