[VID] More workers injured at leaking nuc plant

StapleMammal1

Contributor
Three more workers were sought medical attention after inhaling radioactive fumes at the Hanford Site in Washington State. This comes one week after 19 workers were sent for medical evaluations in the vicinity of the leaking nuclear waste tank, which was being transferred.

i can't get past all the Russian-isms in that video :lol:

pretty frightening still. there are probably dozens of unsafe nuclear facilities that we as citizens are completely oblivious to

I can't believe I'm posting somewhat on topic in a tehvul thread. I live on the border of Dawson Forest, a state forest north of Atlanta. In the 60's it was a top secret Lockheed facility attempting to develop nuclear powered aircraft. Later, after they failed to make progress, they repurposed the facilities (which included a small nuclear reactor underground) to research the effects of ionized radiation on various objects, flora, and fauna.

They had a railway system set up throughout the forest, and would fill traincars with various things, then roll them by the nuclear reactor, which could be raised up out of the ground, to expose the surrounding area to radiation. Nowadays it is a state forest, completely open to the public, with horse and foot trails. To this day, there are several hot spots that are still radioactive and fenced off (poorly).

I have camped here many times... there are less bugs and wildlife then you would think to find, and the wood seems to burn slower than normal. The ruins of the facility pepper the entire forest, complete with bunkers that had their entrances sealed with explosives (once again, poorly). The pit where they kept the reactor was something like 200 feet deep, and there are spots where you can ingress in to the old bunkers and drop things down the massive "silo".

Pretty crazy shit, considering it is now open to the public, and they are talking about creating a 2000 acre reservoir that would supply the main waterworks of Atlanta right smack in the middle of the forest.

Last edited:
There is an old reactor under the LBJ Museum in Austin TX. There is also a bunch of tunnels under Austin which dead end that have the Radioactive symbol on the block.

Keep Austin Weird for a zillion years.

571fbd63effa2_goatbab1.jpg

In the 60's it was a top secret Lockheed facility attempting to develop nuclear powered aircraft. Later, after they failed to make progress, they repurposed the facilities (which included a small nuclear reactor underground) to research the effects of ionized radiation on various objects, flora, and fauna.

They had a railway system set up throughout the forest, and would fill traincars with various things, then roll them by the nuclear reactor, which could be raised up out of the ground, to expose the surrounding area to radiation. Nowadays it is a state forest, completely open to the public, with horse and foot trails. To this day, there are several hot spots that are still radioactive and fenced off (poorly).

Would love to see that forest.

When the Cold War Came to Dawsonville:
https://northgeorgiamountainramblin.../04/28/when-the-cold-war-came-to-dawsonville/

http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=29719

Type: Tunnel
Accessibility: Easy
Recommendation: worth the trip

29719.jpg

Been in the tunnel?

Tunnel gallery:
http://www.uer.ca/locations/viewgal.asp?locid=29719&galid=29620

These dudes are keen digging down to the tunnel and then inflating a blow up boat in the middle.

Last edited:
Been in the tunnel?

Tunnel gallery:
http://www.uer.ca/locations/viewgal.asp?locid=29719&galid=29620

These dudes are keen digging down to the tunnel and then inflating a blow up boat in the middle.

Ahaha nope, I had no idea there were folks actually trying to dig their way in. I've explored a good bit, but never went near the hot cell or cooldown areas. I mainly just like the forest itself for camping and hunting (turkeys)

Back