Musicians/Home Studio Guys

GreasyBoy

Veteran XX
I have a weird issue w/background hum/noise I'm trying to track down. This isn't the usual polarization/instrument hum.

When I move my mouse, I'm picking up what I though was just a noisy bus on the computer. However I've added a second computer and it's doing the exact same thing. Any time I move the mouse, or when the CPU is under heavy load I get this high pitched noise. It's faint, but everything is picking it up.

I can plug headphones into anywhere in the signal chain and get the same result....the mixing board, into my A/D interface, or into the headphone amp and get the same noise so it's definitely the computer, one mouse is wireless and the other corded so I don't think it's a wireless issue as much as maybe I should either A) get shielded cables or B) move the computers as far away from everything as possible?

Anyone run across a similar issue? I've googled and most are saying its an IRQ issue with the interface or RF frquencies with wireless, but my interface is currently off, coming straight out of the board with nothing plugged into the computer at all and I'm still picking up the noise. I can gate it out, but I'd like to get rid of it if possible.

CLIFFS:
Have PC based home studio.
PC is emmiting some kind electromagnetic interference when I move the mouse on either computer.
I can use a gate to get rid of it, but I'd like to find out what it actually is.

I have a weird issue w/background hum/noise I'm trying to track down. This isn't the usual polarization/instrument hum.

When I move my mouse, I'm picking up what I though was just a noisy bus on the computer. However I've added a second computer and it's doing the exact same thing. Any time I move the mouse, or when the CPU is under heavy load I get this high pitched noise. It's faint, but everything is picking it up.

I can plug headphones into anywhere in the signal chain and get the same result....the mixing board, into my A/D interface, or into the headphone amp and get the same noise so it's definitely the computer, one mouse is wireless and the other corded so I don't think it's a wireless issue as much as maybe I should either A) get shielded cables or B) move the computers as far away from everything as possible?

Anyone run across a similar issue? I've googled and most are saying its an IRQ issue with the interface or RF frquencies with wireless, but my interface is currently off, coming straight out of the board with nothing plugged into the computer at all and I'm still picking up the noise. I can gate it out, but I'd like to get rid of it if possible.

CLIFFS:
Have PC based home studio.
PC is emmiting some kind electromagnetic interference when I move the mouse on either computer.
I can use a gate to get rid of it, but I'd like to find out what it actually is.

Thats a tough one.. When im recording guitar/bass with my laptop on protools i tet a little bit of a buzzing sound if the power cord for my laptop is close to the instrument cable but it doesnt come out enough to notice on the recordings... this doesnt happen on my desktop tho.. that is the only thing i can think of that comes close to it. I use a mbox mini.. i dunno what your using but it might be the DAW. Has this always happened or did it recently start? who knows man.. this stuff is hard to troubleshoot.

Thats a tough one.. When im recording guitar/bass with my laptop on protools i tet a little bit of a buzzing sound if the power cord for my laptop is close to the instrument cable but it doesnt come out enough to notice on the recordings... this doesnt happen on my desktop tho.. that is the only thing i can think of that comes close to it. I use a mbox mini.. i dunno what your using but it might be the DAW. Has this always happened or did it recently start? who knows man.. this stuff is hard to troubleshoot.

It's always happened which is why I thought it was the AD card and a noisy buss. I recently got rid of my PCI interface and got a Focusrite Pro 40 firewire, and same problem. Like I said, I thought it was just the one PC, but since I added the second now it's even worse.

Right now I'm running SP3 update on one computer, and as it's scrolling through the files its installing, it sounds like one of those creepy old number stations tramsitting data with weird oscillations and static.

Does it happen when the monitor is off?

Yes. I have three monitors about 2 feet apart, turned them all off and same issue. I've tried moving components, moving wires, switching wires....still there.

Not always...anytime you're using internal components to record in a PC, you're prone to getting crap like that. Could be coming from the power supply, you may need to set a larger buffer in your audio programs, or you may need to ground your PC case to whatever components you're using (espescially if they're using simple, two-pronged plugs without a ground).

Last edited:
It's always happened which is why I thought it was the AD card and a noisy buss. I recently got rid of my PCI interface and got a Focusrite Pro 40 firewire, and same problem. Like I said, I thought it was just the one PC, but since I added the second now it's even worse.

Right now I'm running SP3 update on one computer, and as it's scrolling through the files its installing, it sounds like one of those creepy old number stations tramsitting data with weird oscillations and static.

I dunno man.. ive nly been doing home recording since March so im not that deep into it.. my big issue im having now isi get a crackling sound when i plug my mbox into my desk top... Then i tried plugging it into my laptop and skill crackling.. then a week later when i tried again the crackling on the laptop stopped.. but it still crackles on the desktop.. i joined the avid forum and some one mentioned always using the same usb port cuz they have noticed that was the issue.. i swear i didnt think dealing with home recording would have so much little issues.. but its a hobby i have to feed :).. good luck.

Not always...anytime you're using internal components to record in a PC, you're prone to getting crap like that. Could be coming from the power supply, you may need to set a larger buffer in your audio programs, or you may need to ground your PC case to whatever components you're using (espescially if they're using simple, two-pronged plugs without a ground).

Well, I'm going to pick up a new power conditioner today anyway so I'm gonna pick up some good shielded cables and then do some grounding if neither of those get it.

Use balanced cables.
Which in turn means you'll need an audio interface with balanced outs.

I have that same issue, but particularly on my Mac computers with external monitors. No idea what it is, but it's ONLY when I move the mouse.

I had this same problem on my pc.. never figured out. It happened when osx was installed (bad kexts) but on windows it was fine. So my best guess if you're a techie is to take a look at your drivers.

The solution is to buy a firewire interface and remove the whole "pc" aspect from the recording hardware. That's what you should be doing anyway.

If it still shows up, idk.

I have a FW interface, and it's worse than my MBox. However, I think it's just a problem with how I've got my cables routed.

Should just buck down and get a HD Native rig.. but that shit's essssspensive.

Had same issue. Took forever to figure out. Ended up being I always went duel monitors & the cable connecting my 2nd monitor was it, some weird interference. It's probably along the lines of the same issues pc problem not your recording hardware

Use a grounding plug. You can get them at the hardware store for a couple bucks. Plug your main cords/plugs into them and then them into the wall/surge protector. This should solve your problem.

This is a problem most older clubs have on stages. The grounding plug does the trick 100% of the time. I don't know the exact name of the "grounding plug" because I am drunk but it should work.

Its just a little adapter that you plug your main power cords in to. That should work.

Try plugging all of your hardware, including the PC(s) into a power conditioner. See if that helps.

Back