Walmart has Christmas decorations out

Train.jpg

:( That is sad. Do you live in Wyoming? I have heard that is all there is there.

Very close, one state from there.

I lied a bit. If I think through it there is the grocery store, Walmart, Lewis drug, and the few remaining independent pharmacies where I could buy toothpaste that wouldn't be tainted with lead.

It's not a big town. It just got a Gamestop, which makes it the only other place in town where you can buy games. There was a place called On-Cue before that ended up closing because Wal-mart forced it out.

Thankfully it is attracting more food places. There used to be about 8 options for food, but in the last 8 years or so I think there are about 15-19 places to eat now.

There used to be 2 grocery stores that I knew of, but one had to close because of Wal-mart entering the food market.

There also used to be a couple of stores that sold things like Walmart, such as Pamida and K-mart, but Walmart forced those out too...

The internet basically makes it not matter at this point. My family used to drive 4 hours to go back to school clothes shopping, now whenever I want clothes I just order them online, or I'll occasional make a one hour trip to a bigger town that has most major clothing brands now [when I was younger they didn't].

Less than 10 years ago it used to be nearly solid white people or Native Americans. Now it is much more multicultural - which is both weird [weird because you can see it actually happening] and cool. After Hurricane Katrina more black people moved into the area, and it was noticeable really quickly. [There were zero black students in my high school of about 200 when I was in high school, there was one prior to me being in high school, one Mexican American, no other cultures other than whites and Native americans - not in the same town but a good comparison].

Any other culture that has come to the region generally has ties the college - Indians, Asians [mostly Chinese, although a few Japanese], and Pakistanis make up the most significant amount of other cultures in that town.

Mexicans really began migrating into the area when I was in middle school, but in that town I mentioned they aren't really that prolific - they end up in the towns surrounding the college town working on dairy farms and what not. Not that it matters on their culture, but I was in a convenience store when four of them robbed the place for work gloves [no guns/weapons that I was aware of]. I was uncomfortable, but didn't really feel threatened, but it's like.. gloves? Is that really worth it?

It's pretty cool to actually be able to see the demographic change, and for the vast majority of the part in a positive manner. Most of the crime we hear about now comes from different cultures [hint - it's not the Indians, Arabs, or Asians], though, so the old people basically hate everyone who isn't white or native.

Back on a more on point topic about where I live.. If I go about an hour away they have most everything there, but it's easier to order things off of the internet, and I don't have to blow all the money in gas to get there.

Last edited:
Back