F-you Communist Coporation

rootb33r

Contributor
Veteran X
So far this week, they've blocked:

-iTunes downloads (I WANT MY FUCKING NEWS/ENTERTAINMENT PODCASTS)
-Blip.tv
-Pandora
-Some spanish streaming station my co-worker listens to
-Various radio streaming sites

Been here for 4 years. They have always blocked youtube, hulu, etc., which is all understandable... but they're completely sanitizing everything. Just recently they also took away total admin rights on your laptop, so you can't install, uninstall, or really do anything.

Fucking communist fucks.

...Or I could actually enjoy being at work, while I listen to podcasts and do work at the same time.

It's 2011, we multi-task.

I can understand everything but the streaming music. As long as its on headphones, or in an office, the music streaming ought to be fine.

I agree, I don't care about YouTube or the video streaming, because that's completely distracting. But I also download podcasts from iTunes, like various NPR podcasts and some sports radio podcasts.

I turn them off when I need to read something, but I love to have them running while I do my excel/numbers/financial stuff.

I can understand everything but the streaming music. As long as its on headphones, or in an office, the music streaming ought to be fine.

Really?

There's only so much bandwidth to go around, and it isn't cheap.

The office I work in had to start blocking streaming because their pipe was completely saturated by streaming content.

Last edited:
Really?

There's only so much bandwidth to go around, and it isn't cheap.

The office I work in had to start blocking streaming because their pipe was completely saturated by streaming content.

If it was purely music streaming, I would be surprised. Either way, I think it would be a worthwhile investment for the company to upgrade their pipeline. Because streaming music is an easy way to keep your employees happy and perhaps even more productive.

1500 people streaming music all day, when every other system is also online using bandwidth, is a stupid use of company money
bring your ipod, zune, whatever, radio, discman

this sort of thing seems to happen when managers/supervisors don't want to take responsibility for their employees.

who gives a fuck if you look at youtube, download podcasts, etc? the question is whether you get your job done or not.
(edit: unless there's an issue with bandwidth, then it makes sense)

as for the admin rights, that makes sense. because most people are stupid and thats the number one hole for getting viruses...

If it was purely music streaming, I would be surprised. Either way, I think it would be a worthwhile investment for the company to upgrade their pipeline. Because streaming music is an easy way to keep your employees happy and perhaps even more productive.

That's an extremely convenient thing to say when you're not responsible for paying the bill.

Take an ipod to work, or use your smartphone. Problem solved.

That's an extremely convenient thing to say when you're not responsible for paying the bill.

Take an ipod to work, or use your smartphone. Problem solved.

We have approximately 1500 employees at desks.

I would say less than 1/3 prefer to listen to music or podcasts or whatever while working.

Of that 1/3, 50% of the time you simply cannot listen to music, whether it's because of meetings or work which requires complete concentration. So you're talking a maximum of 250 people at any given time streaming or downloading something.

Personally, I download my podcasts in the morning while people aren't even here yet, then listen to them throughout the day. I don't even stream.

Back