Best software for home streaming?

Fonzie

Veteran XV
I have a media server set up. I want to be able to stream movies from the server to multiple computers on the local network. Looking for something Windows based that's compatible with OSX. Also looking for something to play nearly all file formats.

Is there anything that does this?

1. Install a codec pack.
2. Use whatever media player you want.
3. ???
4. Profit.

I must be missing something.

1. Install a codec pack.
2. Use whatever media player you want.
3. ???
4. Profit.

I must be missing something.

I'd essentially like something that sets up a library of sorts to browse rather than having to type in a server location every time I or my non-technical roommate wants to watch a movie.

I'd essentially like something that sets up a library of sorts to browse rather than having to type in a server location every time I or my non-technical roommate wants to watch a movie.
I use a Windows 7 library to do just that. One simple shortcut on the desktop links to all my video files across all computers/locations.

Setup a Samba (SMB) share over the network.

That's what I do with XBMC and it works just fine (for music at least, don't see why it wouldn't for video).

I use a Windows 7 library to do just that. One simple shortcut on the desktop links to all my video files across all computers/locations.

This is what I use. Windows 7 on all PCs, plus a PS3. My phone also has DLNA which allows me to see my files on it, as well.

The drive that I linked works just like a W7 Library, but it doesn't trans-code so the device on the other end needs to handle it.

Back