Texas A&M going to the SEC

Chaoz

Veteran XV
From their rivals site

I just got off the phone with someone on campus who I had been trying to talk to over the last few days because he's very well connected. Unlike a lot of things we had heard over the past few days which might have contradicted something else we heard or came from outside the university itself, his stuff comes from the highest levels and it's like God handing Moses the Ten Commandments.

A&M's going to the SEC.

This is what was said:

When the LHN was announced last fall, A&M officials took a long hard look at the economics of the deal and decided that they couldn't compete with Texas unless they did something different. They have been in discussions with SEC officials since that time. The person he talked to said that all future alignment discussions would be based on economics and that A&M was ahead of the curve in this regard.

On August 22, the A&M BOR will make it official. It doesn't matter what the NCAA decided today regarding the LHN or if the Big 12 has any further meetings or whatever penalties are assessed by the Big 12 for A&M leaving the conference.

There's nothing that can be done at this point to stop this. The BOR has determined that A&M's future lies in the SEC and away from Texas and will ratify this officially.

He was told that although Rick Perry will be in Birmingham and South Carolina this weekend, he has nothing to do with it. He was also told that he didn't have anything to do with the events of last summer. The timing of Perry's trip to the south has to do with his announcement that he is running for president which will be made Saturday on the same day that the Iowa straw polls are being done.

I apologize for not having much prior to this but this is the conversation that I waiting to have because there has been no better source on A&M over the years and because this comes directly from the highest levels. Prior to that, I wanted to be cautious but there's no need to be cautious at this point.

It's over."

This is huge and will change college athletics as we know it. Looks like mega conferences are happening. Out with the old, in with the new.

Thoughts from the UTexas folks?

they were a shitty rival anyway

i guess

and
now we really can make a Texas network ala Notre Dame

From their rivals site

This is huge and will change college athletics as we know it. Looks like mega conferences are happening. Out with the old, in with the new.

Thoughts from the UTexas folks?

That article is a little premature but it will probably happen after the 22nd of this month

As for thoughts from Texas grads the consensus is pretty much

612capture_tombstone03.jpg

Bullshit.

So who are we gunna get in the East? Georgia tech? Clemson? Florida State?

I don't see it happening, we already have 12 fucking teams.

Edit: Well nevermind, all my buddies say it's legit. :shrug:

Last edited:
This is still not official

...and that is important bc sites reported this as a done deal last year in the near demise of the big 12.

no but the chances of it happening are very high, aggy is tired of being Texas's shadow and thinks they can make waves in the sec ...

Bullshit.

So who are we gunna get in the East? Georgia tech? Clemson? Florida State?

I don't see it happening, we already have 12 fucking teams.

It's all about markets. SEC controls Florida, Georgia, South Carolina (somewhat), so there's no reason to add a team from there

It's not about location, markets, $$$, $$$, $$$

With that said I've heard Missouri (for St. Louis market and Kansas City market) or Virginia Tech (for Virginia), or West Virginia (but I don't think they have that big of national appeal)

It's all about markets. SEC controls Florida, Georgia, South Carolina (somewhat), so there's no reason to add a team from there

With that said I've heard Missouri (for St. Louis market and Kansas City market) or Virginia Tech (for Virginia), or West Virginia (but I don't think they have that big of national appeal)

If this turns out to be true I think Clemson would be a natural fit. Georgia Tech had their chance already

craziness

super conferences are inevitable and the BCS will die a slow death

Agree, during last years conference realignment fiasco there were rumblings out of a&m about not wanting to join the pac 10, call it cultural difference if you will. Texas's AD is very good friends with the AD at Notre Damn and they met a few times before the pac deal became public to discuss the land scape of college football. This was told by our AD at a luncheon I attended last fall, well he was at another function yesterday and this was brought up during the Q&A. He basically said if aggy left and keeping the big 12 together was not possible, Texas and ND would explore the possibility of starting up a new conference.

From the article -

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds said today if Texas A&M leaves the Big 12 to join the SEC, his hope will be that the Big 12 stays together.

Dodds' statement came in response to a question during a luncheon speech at the Young Men's Business League of Austin.

Dodds also said if it meant peace in the Big 12, the Longhorn Network would never air a high school football game.

Dodds asked how many Aggies were in the crowd. When one of the Aggies asked if airing high school games on the Longhorn Network would be an unfair advantage for Texas, Dodds asked the Aggie about the state 7-on-7 tournament featuring high school players on the College Station campus every summer.

Dodds smiled and asked, "Do you know how we feel about that tournament being in College Station?" Then he smiled and said, "You probably don't because we never talk about it."

If Texas A&M was to leave, Dodds said the Big 12 might seek to bring in another school. Dodds also said if there was not sentiment to hold the Big 12 together by the remaining members that Texas and possibly Notre Dame could join forces to create a new conference.

Dodds gave no indication that Texas would pursue the possibility of becoming an independent.

aggy needs to do what is best for them and if that is the sec so be it

I still think that pac-16 or whatever it was going to be called would have been really awesome and I am bummed it did not happen.

The Big12 has no chance of existing because UT has no interest in anything resembling a fair distribution of wealth. My guess is they will be independent in 10 years.

Missouri was trying to sell the STL and KC markets to the big 10 when they were expanding, big 10 took nebraska instead which essentially brought those markets.

Virginia Tech makes a lot of sense I think. Maryland would make sense for the same reasons(big 10 was rumored to be interested in them as well). WVU doesn't really carry a market so I don't really see them adding much to conference.

I think this is a good move for a&m, even if it is motivated solely by the desire to get away from big bro Texas.

I'm glad Texas didn't join the Pac-10

having Texas and USC would have pretty much crushed every other school's chance at becoming anything more than 2nd tier

I'm glad Texas didn't join the Pac-10

having Texas and USC would have pretty much crushed every other school's chance at becoming anything more than 2nd tier

USC lost every game vs conference opponents with a winning record last year. They did however stick it to Hawaii and Minnesota.

Back