ASUS Eee Pad Transformer

Villi

Veteran-5
recently i have been wanting a small portable device to do simple web browsing and maybe some word processing/excel usage.

i am very intrigued by the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer, it seems like a good all around combination tablet/netbook.

However there are none in stores around me even just on display so i havent been able to play around with it at all.

Since i trust most of the tech advice on TW, i was wondering if
a) any of you have the transformer
b) how do you like it
c) how do you find the word app, i believe it comes with Polaris Office 3.0
d) any other general comments will be appreciated

pics of titties will come once im not at work provided that there are any decent responses

Everything ive seen makes it look like the first tablet id consider functional enough to purchase, with the dock.

I would want to see how well google docs runs, i know its not office but it is getting better every day.

the only thing i'd say is that remember this is a mobile OS tablet, not a netbook/notebook. I say that because websites still treat the droid 3.0+ as a big mobile device and as such you get redirected to their mobile pages or have some def weird issues.

For instance you cannot watch hulu/netflix until apps come out. Lots of other flash sites don't let you use your touch screen to press the button within the flash. While you can adjust a setting in the Dolphin browser HD to make sites think you're a desktop its very hit or miss and sketchy.

All in all android tablets are fun and much more customizable then an ipad imo. But they are still kinda like a big moblie phone at this point and not at all a replacement for a notebook.

Another beef with xoom was the volume was way too soft(max setting while docked in the surround sound dock was still low) and the volume buttons were awkward. Not sure about the ee pad.

I just got mine a couple days ago. They're damn hard to find right now. I can't find the keyboard dock right now, but it's a snappy little machine and the cheapest on the market without the dock. Honeycomb needs a little work around the edges, but I'm enjoying it and the 3.1 update is supposed to address the problems with browsing in the UI.

I haven't messed with Polaris too much, but it's a lot more robust than I thought it would be. The only major flaw is that I cannot find a spell check in it.

PS. The ASUS unlimited "cloud" storage and being able to control your desktop is pretty slick.

the only thing i'd say is that remember this is a mobile OS tablet, not a netbook/notebook. I say that because websites still treat the droid 3.0+ as a big mobile device and as such you get redirected to their mobile pages or have some def weird issues.

For instance you cannot watch hulu/netflix until apps come out. Lots of other flash sites don't let you use your touch screen to press the button within the flash. While you can adjust a setting in the Dolphin browser HD to make sites think you're a desktop its very hit or miss and sketchy.

All in all android tablets are fun and much more customizable then an ipad imo. But they are still kinda like a big moblie phone at this point and not at all a replacement for a notebook.

Another beef with xoom was the volume was way too soft(max setting while docked in the surround sound dock was still low) and the volume buttons were awkward. Not sure about the ee pad.

you can set the agent to pc and get around all of these issues, netflix app is out and open to all too. Dunno how the xoom works but loading normal version of websites on my OG droid works perfectly.

The reason the transformer is better than the xoom is it has a keyboard dock to turn it into a netbook, which is a massive difference because now all of a sudden you can do work on it and it is more than a big phone.

I have had it for a few weeks and I love the thing. I was waiting for an android tablet so that I could have everything sync'd through google and this was the tablet I had the highest hopes for.

I haven't messed around too much with the word processor, but I do get a lot of office attachments from work and I use the tablet to view them during presentations. Although the file sharing seems okay, I had the HP cloud already setup, so that works flawlessly as well.

I have only one complaint and that isn't with the device, it's with the stupid ac charger that comes with the tablet. It sucks. I thought it was broke, but after disconnecting and connecting multiple times, it started working again.

No complaints with the tablet, it is exactly what I wanted and met all my expectations. I have not bought the docking station yet. And the "official" case for it is overpriced and sucks, based on the reviews, so I am holding out until an after market case comes out that would be nice to have.

my phone does literally everything a tablet can do + fits in my pocket and makes cellular calls

i don't get the tablet fad. other than wanting to own a new electronic toy, what is your justification for buying one of these (assuming you already own both a smartphone and a laptop)?

Last edited:
i have a smartphone but no laptop, and since i use my desktop at home and my work pc at work i just want a small tablet/netbook to surf the web while at home and maybe take to school and use the word proc in class

i've never used a transformer, but i have had nothing but good experiences with asus devices

my eee netbook has been on for four years with 120+ day uptime stretches and has never had any problems.. even the battery is still holding mostly full charges

my phone does literally everything a tablet can do + fits in my pocket and makes cellular calls

i don't get the tablet fad. other than wanting to own a new electronic toy, what is your justification for buying one of these (assuming you already own both a smartphone and a laptop)?

agree all of the above

Back