ITT: CNN gets it wrong

Goshin

GriftKing
Veteran XX
Who is the richest person ever? - Video - Luxury

this world bank economist doesn't know shit about shit

First, the 4 choices are incorrect choices. Rockefeller had an estimated $250 billion dollars of net worth if calculating correctly. Bill Gates should never have been on the list.
Mansu Musa deserves to be on the list way over Gates or Carnegie
Musa was a devout Muslim and his pilgrimage to Mecca, a command ordained by Allah according to core teachings of Islam, made him well-known across northern Africa and the Middle East. He believed the religion of Islam to be deep and certainly more than repetition of Qur'anic verses and prayer. To Musa, Islam was the foundation of the "cultured world of the Eastern Mediterranean".[7] He would spend much time fostering the growth of Islam in his empire.

Musa made his pilgrimage in 1324, his procession reported to include 60,000 men, 12,000 slaves, heralds dressed in silks who bore gold staffs, organized horses and handled bags. Musa provided all necessities for the procession, feeding the entire company of men and animals.[8] Also in the train were 80 camels, which varying reports claim carried between 50 and 300 pounds of gold dust each. Musa not only gave to the cities he passed on the way to Mecca, including Cairo and Medina, but also traded gold for souvenirs. Furthermore, it has been recorded that he built a mosque each and every Friday.

Musa's journey was documented by several eyewitnesses along his route, who were in awe of his wealth and extensive procession, and records exist in a variety of sources, including journals, oral accounts and histories. Musa is known to have visited with the Mamluk sultan Al-Nasir Muhammad of Egypt in July of 1324.[9]

Musa's generous actions, however, inadvertently devastated the economy of the region. In the cities of Cairo, Medina and Mecca, the sudden influx of gold devalued the metal for the next decade. Prices on goods and wares super inflated in an attempt to adjust to the newfound wealth that was spreading throughout local populations. To rectify the gold market, Musa borrowed all the gold he could carry from money-lenders in Cairo, at high interest. This is the only time recorded in history that one man directly controlled the price of gold in the Mediterranean.[10]

I would actually venture to guess the only two that should be considered are Mansa Musa and Marcus Crassus, who owned much of Rome and was the richest Roman ever to be had.

CNN is for dumb fucks

I don't know who those Romans were. Big deal, they had all that power. Now what? Gone and not remembered. That's why leaders build pyramids, so they are remembered 3k years from now. Rome had the coliseum, that's what is left from that era. Here in the USA, it's going to be Mt. Rushmore that stands the test of time 3k years from now. Gates will fuck his money away to Africa, same with Buffet. Clinton has a library, weeee. They'll be forgotten 50 years from now. If they were smart, they be building a granite monument to themselves.

Last edited:
Nobody wants to live in Egypt, that's why they could build giant useless pyramids everywhere.

i would argue that not knowing some useless fact about the richest man in history has no bearing on his capacity as an economist

I would enjoy it if NGFM could name me any of the pharoahs that were entombed in a pyramid. Hint, none of them were named Giza

And it's important because when you have a blurb special about "the richest man to ever exist" and then include Marcus Crassus from 80BC, you should probably know what the fuck you're talking about and speak on maybe the only richer man in the world, Mansa Musa in the 14th century AD.

If that blurb wasn't being made, then no, it's not really important besides an interesting study in how gold could destabilize an entire region and introductions of wealth, while thought to be a good thing, are actually kinda bad if not regulated (see spain in the 16th century)

Last edited:
I don't know who those Romans were. Big deal, they had all that power. Now what? Gone and not remembered. That's why leaders build pyramids, so they are remembered 3k years from now. Rome had the coliseum, that's what is left from that era. Here in the USA, it's going to be Mt. Rushmore that stands the test of time 3k years from now. Gates will fuck his money away to Africa, same with Buffet. Clinton has a library, weeee. They'll be forgotten 50 years from now. If they were smart, they be building a granite monument to themselves.

Yeah, Gates only started Microsoft and came up with Windows. What a loser. Where is his precious Windows now??

I don't know who those Romans were. Big deal, they had all that power. Now what? Gone and not remembered.

holy shit :rofl:

edit: holy FUCKING shit :rofl:

karl-pilkington-468x261.jpg

Last edited:
I would enjoy it if NGFM could name me any of the pharoahs that were entombed in a pyramid. Hint, none of them were named Giza
Honestly, I'd have to guess. I've seen a bunch of documentaries about the pyramids, but don't remember the names.

Gates won't be remembered in 50 years, even if he made billions with Windows. People can make billions, but unless they leave behind a monument, or a company that lasts for years, it's nothing. And even then, people talk about the company, not the person who started it.

Do you hear people talking about Hershey, or the dude who invented Coke? No. People talk about the company.

We're talking 1k years here, the only thing that lasts that long is a rock monument.

gotta be specific types of monuments too
lots of shit gets raided, or torn down and reused for something else
statues get weathered too easily
granite with no rebar seems to do the trick

Honestly, I'd have to guess. I've seen a bunch of documentaries about the pyramids, but don't remember the names.

Gates won't be remembered in 50 years, even if he made billions with Windows. People can make billions, but unless they leave behind a monument, or a company that lasts for years, it's nothing. And even then, people talk about the company, not the person who started it.

Do you hear people talking about Hershey, or the dude who invented Coke? No. People talk about the company.

We're talking 1k years here, the only thing that lasts that long is a rock monument.

I bet you're one of those people that think king arthur and camelot really existed

Luckily, you have a wiki full of retarded quotes like this one so nobody will forget you.

so whats the point of being remembered if you are dead? it makes no difference if people worship you like a god or if u are a lowly forgotten cubicle worker who likes rollercoasters

a better study would be who owned the greatest percentage of wealth of the world at any one time, by western of that time period standards. At least that isn't up for interpretation.

Back