Question for Canadians re: Canadian history

DrMeithos

Veteran X
Were you taught that 19th century British Columbia was like a forested version of the wild wild west? Lawlessness, gunslingers, fightin off injuns, pannin for gold, chinamen, etc?

one of the most famous western canada battles ended up with like less than 10 guys dead.

in fact I was taught western canada was quite civil

They just taught us about Louis (keepin it) Riel. The only things we learned about the west were the gold rush and how the Queen wanted to name it Columbia, but since that name was taken, British Columbia would have to do.

one of the most famous western canada battles ended up with like less than 10 guys dead.

in fact I was taught western canada was quite civil

That's what I've gathered. I was hoping you had been taught something else, so I'd have a stronger thesis statement for this history paper. The wild west of BC was about as boring as modern day BC. I'm reading all these diaries of people from the period. "Big event today: almost killed by injuns. Turned out they just wanted to sell smoked salmon. Crisis averted."

forced to decide between

A) a cool place to live with chill people (except quebec) who generally try to get along for the well being of eachother and general awesomeness but a boring history

And

B) a long history of civil unrest, Frivolous lawsuits, cool shit, major wars every 20 years it's entire existence, cops that put you in jail for years for weed, the south, the elitist snobby north, the world hating you, 2 polarized political parties only decided by issues religious fundies and nigger rich trailer trash who think tax cuts matter to them instead of rich people care about

I'd take a boring past and "not mattering" to Americans unless they beat us in hockey any day of the week

Back