A Question about Praying...

Blue-Mush

Veteran XV
What brings this up is my dad is going into surgery tomorrow to have his knees replaced, and my mother posted on her facebook something to the effect of 'Tom is going into surgery tomorrow everybody pray that he will come out fine.' Since I'm not a believer in stuff like that I thought to myself.....If only 13 people pray will God be like, "well not enough people prayed so I have to give him a bad surgery." or "ok he met the quota 15 prayers here ya go Tom wallah good surgery."

A co-worker also recently asked me about her friend that died last year, she asked "Since you don't believe in God n things like that do you believe my friend waited a day after my birthday to die (she was in a coma) so I wouldn't be sad on my birthday every year?" I simply replied "I know the polite thing to say is yes, but I really don't think that's the case."

If you're a religious person do you believe prayer saves your loved one? To what point does God say...ok yup you prayed and you REALLY meant it, ok I'll save em.

Just curious flame, comment, discuss.

Last edited:
first you need to assign the seriousness of the want/need in prayer formula numbers

its a scale of -45 to 340

What brings this up is my dad is going into surgery tomorrow to have his knees replaced, and my mother posted on her facebook something to the effect of 'Tom is going into surgery tomorrow everybody pray that he will come out fine.' Since I'm not a believer in stuff like that I thought to myself.....If only 13 people pray will God be like, "well not enough people prayed so I have to give him a bad surgery." or "ok he met the quota 15 prayers here ya go Tom wallah good surgery."

A co-worker also recently asked me about her friend that died last year, she asked "Since you don't believe in God n things like that do you believe my friend waited a day after my birthday to die (she was in a coma) so I wouldn't be sad on my birthday every year?" I simply replied "I know the polite thing to say is yes, but I really don't think that's the case."

If you're a religious person do you believe prayer saves your loved one? To what point does God say...ok yup you prayed and you REALLY meant it, ok I'll save em.

Just curious flame, comment, discuss.
"wallah"
Jesus on a fucking stick horse hockey!
VOILA
It's French you heathen.

I don't think God utilizes metrics such as that (prayers per hour - you think this is Bruce Almighty?), pray or maybe find an app that will.

i don't believe in god, or a higher power or whatever, but studies have shown (or so my mom tells me) that there is statistically significant proof that prayer does help people...

i'd like to attribute this more to the power of thought and the interconnectedness of all beings, but then again i spent a lot of time reading about the para lab at princeton and probably experimented with halucinogens a little too much.

People only truly die when they are forgotten. As an atheist, you can use prayer as a respectful gesture that you are remembering that person.

prayer is one of the more perplexing aspects of religion for me.

you have a benevolent god... he's going to listen and care about things you want or some touchdown you scored... but then we have... africa... it's like a greedy fat kids asking santa for gifts.

meh.ro5565-455x285.jpg

hey blue mush you brought up a point i have never thought about before, i wonder if prayer really works now, well i have to say you have definitely sprung up interesting discussion i hope we can get serious and ham this one out

you have definitely got me thinking

I always thought it was ridiculous for the fact that supposedly god already planned everything out that has happened, is happening and will happen. So what the fuck is the point of praying? Did you find some flaw in god's perfect plan which coincidentally is almost always a selfish request..?

i don't believe in god, or a higher power or whatever, but studies have shown (or so my mom tells me) that there is statistically significant proof that prayer does help people...

i'd like to attribute this more to the power of thought and the interconnectedness of all beings, but then again i spent a lot of time reading about the para lab at princeton and probably experimented with halucinogens a little too much.

"Momma:heart: knows best" :clap:

Back