[JAVA] programming test. questions

SkivviS

Veteran X
not homework.

got a line on a job, and im taking a programming test on monday apparently. this is before any kind of interview too, which i thought was odd (thought they were normally after an interview).
i dont know java really, but know C/C++/C#, ruby and perl. ive been reading up on java for the last week, just to go over syntax and such.

anyone taken a java test for work? im assuming it will be basic programming stuff, just to show i can indeed do it, and not some kind of in-depth application (only 2 hours for the test).

any advice welcome.

[edit: i probably wont actually use java for the job, but i guess most of their stuff is]

download eclipse and write a basic program. If you are actually a programmer then that will be enough to answer most Java questions.

/thread

downloading eclipse. thanks

id still like to know what kind of experience people have with java tests for a job

There's no unsigned types because they're hard to understand. That and the exceptions tell you everything you need to know about the language's design.

> Gosling: For me as a language designer, which I don't really count
> myself as these days, what "simple" really ended up meaning was could
> I expect J. Random Developer to hold the spec in his head. That
> definition says that, for instance, Java isn't -- and in fact a lot of
> these languages end up with a lot of corner cases, things that nobody
> really understands. Quiz any C developer about unsigned, and pretty
> soon you discover that almost no C developers actually understand what
> goes on with unsigned, what unsigned arithmetic is. Things like that
> made C complex. The language part of Java is, I think, pretty
> simple. The libraries you have to look up.

and this is why we have such shitty software engineers these days... and why some script kiddies from anonymous can so easily hack apart a "respected" security firm.

i bet that CMS software was written in java also... no doubt by some curry coons :p:

happy whats the big problem with java. i'm not really a programmer but i'm learning. if you were just starting to get serious about coding (with an emphasis on web development), what would you choose to learn

ed: there should be some question marks in there

Only idiots argue which language is 'better'. Languages are tools, you wouldn't argue that a screwdriver is better then a hammer, they are different.

Stop being idiots.

edit: i'm an idiot

happy whats the big problem with java. i'm not really a programmer but i'm learning. if you were just starting to get serious about coding (with an emphasis on web development), what would you choose to learn

ed: there should be some question marks in there

ruby (on rails)

Back