can't get fried rice right

gabe

Veteran X
i've tried it with white rice and brown rice. i've tried boiling it and leaving it overnight in the fridge or frying it right after it's done boiling.

every time it ends up mushy after i've fried it in a few tablespoons of oil over medium/high heat. i mean it gets to the point where you can spoon it out like ice cream and it's just mush. what am i doing wrong?

do you rinse your rice before cooking it? you can get rid of some of the starch that way

the only things i can think of are that maybe you are mashing it when you stir it, and also maybe adding the rice before the oil is hot enough. try using the back of a flat spatula to stir the rice, and try to avoid mashing it up.

U probably need more heat. I use an electric wok, that doesnt even get as hot as i would like. I use day old rice and re-toast it without oil at first for a minute or so then add the oil. An asian class mate told me about this and ive done it ever since. Didnt make much sense to me at first but for home use i found that it works better.

Yep. We use a Breville wok that gets stupid fucking hot - hot enough to scorch canola oil - and we use freshly made rice. The trick is heat plus butter. Put the rice in the super-hot wok, and then put 2-3tbsp of butter on top. Stir until the rice turns butter color, add a tbsp of soy sauce, and a handful of peas. Cook and cook and cook, until it's fried. The idea is to cook out some of the moisture and actually brown parts of it.

here in hawaii fried rice is what u make when ur hungover and u have nothing decent to eat but lots of leftovers

i dont exactly know how u fuck it up

ou and cael should just go off and shoot yourselves. You are neither funny, both dumb asians, suck as games without cheating, pretty much everyone at tw just know you or hates you take your pick. I am guessing doesnt know since you havent dont shit.

LOL, it took me years to master rice (all kinds and textures--basmati, haiga, calrose, jasmine, arborio, brown, black, wild, etc) but I still can't fry it. I can make delicious rice steamed in water (or broth or other liquids), but frying is tricky to me still.

Just order that shit from your local chinese restaurant. I dont fuck with american style chinese food. No matter how much I try, my food never tastes as good and greasy as the place down the street. As someone already pointed out, I think you need a hot wok to cook this.

A few points:

It sounds as if you are overcooking your rice when you first cook it.

What do you put in your rice, Egg? Scallions? Soy/Sesame oil?

I learned from a Chinese cook to actually break the egg in my bowl of rice prior to cooking it, get a pan super hot, start with your scallions, perhaps ginger or garlic, or both, then add it in, the key is fast and hot. Add sauces at the end.

Make sure you aren't cooking too much rice at one time and ensure you have enough fat to rice ratio (oil, butter, whatever you like). Too much rice at once will essentially steam your shit which is NOT what you want. You should also be using the biggest pan possible-- a wok if you can.

well, i do usually try to fry a LOT of rice in the wok or cast iron skillet at a time. it could be that there's just too much for it all to get enough heat. i'll try cooking less rice for a little less time, and rinsing off the rice before i boil it. thanks for the suggestions

and special thanks to opsayo and bounty :)

A few points:

It sounds as if you are overcooking your rice when you first cook it.

What do you put in your rice, Egg? Scallions? Soy/Sesame oil?

I learned from a Chinese cook to actually break the egg in my bowl of rice prior to cooking it, get a pan super hot, start with your scallions, perhaps ginger or garlic, or both, then add it in, the key is fast and hot. Add sauces at the end.

yeah those are the exact things i put in it. i'll try putting the egg in before hand too.

Back