TW skiiers

Gwaihir

Veteran XX
I have been skiing for several years, usually 3 or 4 times a year on rentals. I have do mostly blues and black diamond runs all along North East.

Since I'm moving to Northern Japan this summer and will be in essentially the best place for skiing in Japan, I figured it was time to get a set of skiis.

Problem is I have no idea what to look for or what to get. I'm 6'2, 200lbs and have been using 160s at the rental.

What should I look for, is the length I'm using a good length?

well for starters you might want to consider just buying it in japan rather than checking it in at the airport because a lot of airlines nowadays charge a buttload extra for oversized items.

some random shit i remember from when i was ski shopping:

- first you need to decide what type of skis; telemark, alpine, x-country, etc. (im guessing ur gonna be downhill skiing though)
- if you're more advanced you can go a little longer on the skis
- make sure the boot size matches up this is critical otherwise you'll regret it, im guessing you know they go by a dif. system by now, but don't use a conversion chart, just try the damn boot on before u buy it

I would keep renting, they have new equipment at most shops. 160 is small for someone 6'2 200lbs.

I'm 5'9 200lbs and they fit me with Soloman 166. I wanted to turn better so I went with 158. The length of the ski is usually from the ground to your chin. Shorter length skis will let you turn better. Longer skis let you go faster. So if you want skis that let you turn on a dime, the 160s will do it, but that's small for your height.

Like XTasy said, you also have to consider the type of snow you will be in. Wider skis are used in powder. Narrow skis will let you carve better. Renting means I only travel with my ski cloths, which fit in 1 carry on. No bag fees. Now if you're going to ski for a week or longer, then it may be better to buy. But in my trips, I usually only ski for 2-3 days, and I make a reservation online, which saves me 20%.

Last edited:
and btw

i ended up not buying skis

i just bought a really nice pair of boots that fit me really well. and then i just rent whatever demos they have that year.

and btw

i ended up not buying skis

i just bought a really nice pair of boots that fit me really well. and then i just rent whatever demos they have that year.
Well yeah, that can also work because the boots can go in a bag, and that would count as your personal item on the flight. But like I said, every time I rent, the boots are brand new or have only been used a few times.

I would keep renting, but I'm going to be living 20 minutes from several premier japanese ski resorts. The ski season is nearly six months long and most people on the base go skiing 2 or more times a week. I won't need to fly anywhere just drive.

buy something about 90-105 width underfoot- it will allow you to be comfortable on groomers and give you float in powder. as tall as your nose-forehead, i am 5'11" and i ski 186's. my guess is you want to buy something that you can grow into skill wise. if you buy a more advanced ski you will get better and get more fun out of it later. i recommend the Armada JJ, K2 Obsethed, Volkl Gotama.

buy boots, get the custom fitted to your feet.

i am a ski patroller, just woke up at 4 am and did avalanche control this morning and skied thigh deep powder all day.

Back