"Dungeons" is NOT Dungeon Keeper 3

PassinThru

Veteran XV
Turns out they fucked it up. Of fucking course.

Read this review on Reddit. Hello /gaming. I was a dungeon keepers's 1 + 2 fanatic. I preordered Dungeons the day it was available on Steam. Last night I downloaded and played Dungeons... : gaming

"To sum it up, don't waste your money like I already have.

This is not a remake of dungeon keeper (DK). Dungeons (D) may look the part, but the game play is nothing alike. I'd consider more to be a tower defense game combined with Sims.

Some game play points:

1.You do not build a dungeon. In DK, you would dig out halls and rooms and then pick what that room would be. This would attract monsters of that type. In D, you find pre built rooms in the map by digging around. If there is no skeleton lair around, you don't get skeletons.

2.You do not build a bank room in D. Instead, your minions have to return all gold to your main character. He pockets it, and it does not exist on the map. You do build treasure piles, but these are a set size and only exist to attract hero's.

3.The sims aspect... The only customization you make to your dungeon is prestige items. These are things like a chandelier, or a coffin. These items do nothing but raise your prestige so you can build more of them. Heros do not interact with the items. So you just wind up making a huge room in the back of your dungeon and filling it with prestige items.

4.You minions do not wander around. You put down a pentagram of the monster type you want, and they are instantly summoned there and spawn every 2 mins if they are killed. They never move, and you cannot interact with them in any way. They only move when a hero comes within 20 feet of them. They then attack blindly, die, and re-spawn infinitely.

5.Quite possible the worst gameplay dynamic, let's talk about hero's. They raid your dungeon. The object is not to kill them, but to let them explore your dungeon, gather loot, then kill them. The problem is, they beeline to what they want (gold) and then beeline home. If you set minions on their path in, the hero's die, and you dont get anything because they did not gather any loot.

So, you have to let them in, hope they get past your minions, and then you yourself have to chase them down with your boss to kill them. Since your minions didn't kill them on the way in, they certainly won't kill them on the way out.

1.Since you have to kill heroes yourself, it turns in to a lame WOW type game of casting spells and killing hero's by clicking on your spell numbers. The fight graphics are bad, its just a generic sword swing and blood.

2.No traps at all. I used to love setting up long hallways in DK and adding traps that would murder the hero's before they got close to your dungeon. Nothing like that happens in D, and even if it did happen, it would't work because your object isn't to kill heroes on the way in.

Oops, traps do exist, but just as before, you have to be careful not to kill hero's on the way in.

I don't know what else to say, there are numerous more flaws, but you should get the picture by now. Don't expect Dungeons to be anything like DK, or you will be severely disappointed.

/edit Let me say that maybe this game is OK if you come in expecting a tower defense game. I was so disappointed because I wanted it to be dungeon keeper so bad. So don't base your entire opinion on this.

I will not cancel my preorder, as I feel like I owe the developer since I downloaded the game. What you do is up to you"

:mecry:

There is a small modding team working on Dungeon Keeper III. Other then that there is already a huge mod for DKI that contains roughly 10 extra campaigns but also contains skirmish and other such things. (Works on Vista and W7.) It's called KeeperFX and both can be found at the Keeper Klan forum.

Back