Hello T Dubs. Learn Me Video Encoding

ferret

Veteran XX
So I've been setting up my Home Server, and I got it to stream my 75 movies to the XBox360, but the problem is they are all iso's (which the XBox360 doesn't take)

I've been looking at encoding software to convert these, but its not a cut and dry decision; there doesn't seem to be software or a standard everyone can agree on, which is frustrating. So TW, I ask you, what's the best way to convert these?

Is the best quality and optimal size H264 or Divx, and AC3 as audio? I also want to play these on my iPad / iPhone, but I dont think there's a format that works with it and the XBox360.

baloo.gif

Handbrake does MP4 conversions which is what Apple type devices, ( and my Droid ) play.

It's also free.

True, but handbrake (I believe) does not work for the XBox360 conversions. I usually handbrake my stuff to put it on the iPhone.

I see the divx folks have put out a new free converter that makes .mkv containers which contain (I think) mp4 encoded video.

The free one does high resolution, you have to pay for lower resolutions. So with that plus handbrake, maybe you are covered? I tried it and the quality looked very good, and it used all available cores to render, though it still took a while. Not sure if your player will like the format though...

Handbrake + Google "handbrake xbox" gets you a long way.
Its free and does a pretty good job.

Yeah, I just noticed handbrake works, but it needs to be renamed if you manually change the setting from .avi to .m4p; apparently it can't read certain types from uShare (home server).

Maybe try using PS3mediaserver to stream the isos? They recently added 360 support and if I'm remembering right, it works fine with mkvs which the 360 doesn't support, so maybe it will work with isos as well.

Back