[halp] computer is not computing so well.

Skipperlipicus

Veteran XX
Computer in question is an older macbook pro. dual core intel processor. 8 gigs ram. SSD and a geforce 9600m (lets get this out of the way now - i paid WAY too much for my labtop).

I like games and navigation software, so I mainly run windows 7 on it. That being said I have the option to boot into OS X if i feel like it.

Last night I was g-chatting with an old buddy of mine in OS X and let the battery run flat. No problem - plug that bitch in, right? OK!

Now whenever the computer boots (which it takes forever to do) both opperating systems run extremely sluggish and aren't at all what i'd call stable. In fact often the opperating system will load, and then the computer will just remain frozem until i lose patience and hold down the power button. Now is probably a good time to note that I haven't installed / updated any drivers recently, or any software recently.

safe mode in windows 7 works ok at best, it's certainly not sluggish, but given enough time ~15 mins the computer will freeze unexpectedly (you don't even have to be doing anything).

I'm decently computer savvy, but there are plenty of nerds here that could really put me to shame. That being said I've tried many of the obvious things already. Trying to run some diagnostics now in safe mode - though it keeps on freezing up.

Any suggestions TW might have, would be appreciated (sandpaper just made a big blurry spot). Oh I should also mention i'm on vacation right now and i don't have either the win 7 install disc or the os x install disc with me.

Help me tribalwar, you're my only hope. Also it's christmas eve - if we solve this it could be like tribalwar's very own christmas miracle!

thanks in advance.

1. Dead or dying drive.
2. Virus.

Backup it up quickly. I have 2 macbook pros that have drives that died like you describe. Of course I tend to drop them from time to time.

Oh, and if you haven't booted the OSX side and done a firmware update in like years, you may want to try that first.

Already backed up so I'm good there. I try to handle my labtop with kid gloves - no drops or anything like that, and even so i'm rocking a solid state drive so I think it'd be much more rugged than one with moving parts? I guess it can still die all the same?

I don't want to rule out a virus, but realistically I think there's a very slim chance my rig picked up any diseases.

EDIT:

Did a firmware update on OS X in mid-November, so about a month ago. At this point I don't think OS X is running stably enough to do a firmware update.

Last edited:
Last minute christmas shopping has had me tied up a bit, but i did manage to run some diagnostics.

SpeedFan 4.42's extended test of my hdd has found no errors on the drive - so maybe it's ok?

Event Viewer has been spewing out some worrying shit though - annoyingly I can't see most of the details because I'm opperating in safe mode so i'm running a hugified resolution (640x480 is my guess), and i can't scroll around the event viewer pane to make the details visible.

Anyway event viewer says: "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0." it's referencing my Atapi controller which is also found in my device manager.

I've already mentioned my shortcomings as a nerd... My inclination would be to go into device manager find this IdePort0 and try to reinstall the driver to it or just remove it completely and hope that it sorts itself out on the next reboot. Any suggestions or prods in the right direction would be loved.

EDIT:

On device manager the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller tree has 3 sub-trees:
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 1
Standard Dual CHannel PCI IDE Controller

Last edited:
fdisk, reinstall windows 7

if that doesn't work, it's your shitty apple hardware

im sure it's my shitty appple hardware! anyway i mentioned before i'm on vacation and don't have my install discs on hand... what about reinstalling or uninstalling the ide controller drivers in hopes that it'll sort itself out on the next reboot?

Try an Ubuntu live disk, thats how I figured out the HD went on my old laptop.

It ran fine from the live disk, replaced the HD and its all good again.

GL

im sure it's my shitty appple hardware! anyway i mentioned before i'm on vacation and don't have my install discs on hand... what about reinstalling or uninstalling the ide controller drivers in hopes that it'll sort itself out on the next reboot?

Yeah, you're going to need to accept that there is NOTHING you can do about this without formatting/reinstalling from scratch. Make peace, go the fuck outside, and deal with it when you get home.

pcvmac.jpg

Back