Unemployment Extension (fail)

Swami

Veteran X
House fails to pass unemployment benefits extension - Nov. 18, 2010

"The House failed Thursday to pass a bill that would have given the unemployed three more months to file for extended jobless benefits."

What I don't understand is that Democrat's want to pass an extension, Republicans are willing (with the use of unspent stimulus money), and they can't get this done...? Can someone explain this to me?

And no, I'm not collecting unemployment.

I can understand that there are many individuals and families in need of assistance, but if you can't find a job doing ANYTHING after almost two years of unemployment checks, then there's something else going on and I don't believe it has anything to do with "lack of jobs".

I'm pretty confident that's not the issue I'm talking about. Dems want the extension, Republicans say "pay for it w/ unspent stimulus" and they still can't get it done?

Maybe my frustration should be at the news media for not being able or unwilling to explain the story in detail...

I'm glad this didn't pass no matter the reason.

almost 2 years is WAY TO FUCKING LONG to take a handout. If you can't get the job you think you deserve in that time its time to either retool and get a better job or settle for a shit-tastic job you are qualified for. Any one needing an extension should probably off themselves for the good of the country.

exactly, we can't keep supporting those lazy fucking pot smokers that don't want to look for a job. that's long enough.

Because the republicans don't really want to do it they are using the stimulus money as an excuse so they don't look bad?

I can understand that there are many individuals and families in need of assistance, but if you can't find a job doing ANYTHING after almost two years of unemployment checks, then there's something else going on and I don't believe it has anything to do with "lack of jobs".

This.

If I were on unemployment, I'd be looking for ANY job that gets me more than what my unemployment checks will give me. And if I knew my unemployment was running out soon, I'd be taking the first job I can find, regardless of whether I'm flipping burgers or setting up an Exchange server.

Extending unemployment as fucking long as we already have done is absurd because all it's going to do is prevent people from looking harder or taking a lesser job.The benefits should have never gone past 6 months in the first place.

I commend the republicans for stopping such an extension, regardless of whether or not they've previously indicated they'd allow it to pass.

They're not going to extend the bush tax cuts either.

So all the free loaders can go back work, their federal taxes will be higher, and the promise of tax cuts for the middle class is BS.

god forbid we rid our country of our debt and the 200 billion interest charge we incur annually. (something we could roll into NASA and really see some awesome shit in 15 years)

:king:

here's a fun one from the NGFM of my work:

I was asked an interesting question last night from one of The wifes's cousins - note that this is one of her cousins that I actually don't mind talking to and is the only one in his immediate family who's teeth aren't stained a brownish-yellow, he shaves, and although I'm not sure he combs his hair, he at least keeps it short enough to not look like a derelict (on the downside, he does like wearing an awful lot of comic book hero t-shirts). Anyway, he's wondering what he should do. He was laid off some time ago, but was given some money to go to school (not sure if it's some kind of loan or some type of severance thing he got). But, he collects unemployment and, as such, he's required to occasionally send out his resume. Now, some company wants to interview him, but he's not sure that he wants it b/c it would mean losing his unemployment checks and supposedly his school funding. Seems like perverse incentives to me.

Ironically, his wife is also on unemployment. We have her babysit our kids each week when we play volleyball. The first week, she made a comment that our agreed upon payment structure was below minimum wage, but I just kind of blew it off since: 1) we have other family members around (not to mention the half a dozen high school aged neighbors nearby), 2) she's unemployed, and 3) it's in cash. But, last night she was saying that she too was required to occasionally apply for jobs, but that she only applied for good ones b/c it's not worth it to trade her unemployment for minimum wage and/or she wasn't interested in crappy jobs like that. Oh, and this couple, both on unemployment checks, think they want to have a kid soon. At least they're responsible enough to already be married, I guess, and they have a house b/c she cashed in on some settlement from an auto accident. Good teaser for Thanksgiving...

Based on my really quick googling and looking at trustworthy sites like answers.com ( :lol: ), it sounds like unemployment pays roughly 50% of what you made, plus extra for having kids. I see how collecting unemployment is more beneficial than accepting a minimum wage job. Or as in the nannying case, you can collect cash for a job and receive unemployment too.

edit: guess Florida is not very liberal in giving out unemployment money.

Back