[Guns] Olympic Arms?

JuggerNaught

Contributor
Veteran XX
I can't say that i've heard much about Olympic arms. There is a gunshop here that has the olympic arms version of an ar15 style rifle for around 650.

Anyone know much about them? I tend to be a little suspicious of a half priced weapon.

Stay away. Olympic has been known to produce out of spec parts and have really tight chambers. Spend another $200 or so and you can get quality from a company like RRA, S&W, or CMMG.

CMMG typically has better options too.

I think I'm going to build a lightweight 1/9 car-15 next.

my last build was a heavy contour 16" 1/7 mid length

I want an AR15 really bad but I don't want to pay for .223. Wish there were more options for a 5.45 upper out there. I know they exist, but the market for magazines and spare bolts and the like is slim and expensive. :(

Is there a substantial savings to building one?

Not really, but it's also not that much more expensive to buying a pre-built. The difference is that you get to pick and choose every component that goes into your gun, so you know everything is quality or not.

Not to mention it's a fun experience and very easy to do. Stripped lower receivers can be had as cheap as 60-70 dollars.

Not really, but it's also not that much more expensive to buying a pre-built. The difference is that you get to pick and choose every component that goes into your gun, so you know everything is quality or not.

Not to mention it's a fun experience and very easy to do. Stripped lower receivers can be had as cheap as 60-70 dollars.

+1, I'm also of the mind that I want to know how everything works, from a curiosity stand point, but also a practical being able to diagnose problems and fix most of them on my own.

I never considered building one really. I'm looking at the RRA site and see they have upper/lower and barrel kits. Im guessing that 'complete' means all parts for that particular 'group' ready to be mated with the other parts right? I take it there is no problem with having even a 'complete' assembly shipped directly to your house instead of a dealer?

I never considered building one really. I'm looking at the RRA site and see they have upper/lower and barrel kits. Im guessing that 'complete' means all parts for that particular 'group' ready to be mated with the other parts right? I take it there is no problem with having even a 'complete' assembly shipped directly to your house instead of a dealer?

you will have to buy the lower receiver from a FFL dealer, complete refers to that half being already assembled. A lower can just be the reciever with no trigger parts, stock ect. they call that stripped. You can buy both the upper and lower complete or stripped but it's easy to buy a complete upper and build the lower if you can find it how you want it. the upper can be shipped to you complete no problem, it's not the serial number bearing part.

you will have to buy the lower receiver from a FFL dealer, complete refers to that half being already assembled. A lower can just be the reciever with no trigger parts, stock ect. they call that stripped. You can buy both the upper and lower complete or stripped but it's easy to buy a complete upper and build the lower if you can find it how you want it. the upper can be shipped to you complete no problem, it's not the serial number bearing part.

what about the barrel assembly? Any issues with shipping a complete barrel assembly?

What he said. I had a NFA regulated 10.5" upper shipped to me no problem. Now granted I cant put it on a lower until my ATF tax stamp comes back but the only thing controlled is the lower receiver.

No offense to anyone but you dont 'build' an AR, you put them together like legos.

As far as the question, Oly Arms is pretty much crap. I will only buy RRA, STAG or Bushmaster. There are 'better' manufactures available but the ones I listed will do the job and then some at a portion of the cost.

I want an AR15 really bad but I don't want to pay for .223. Wish there were more options for a 5.45 upper out there. I know they exist, but the market for magazines and spare bolts and the like is slim and expensive. :(

Why not go .308, or 6.8MM SPC, if you don't want to deal with .223? And I've never heard of a 5.45, do you mean 5.56?

I had bought a Bushmaster 6.8MM SPC M4 style a few years ago, great gun but the ammo is fucking expensive. I'm considering buying a 5.56MM upper just to plink with, since 5.56/.223 ammo is much cheaper and available everywhere.

I said I don't want to pay for .223, why would I pay double for .308 or more for 6.8?

5.45 is what some AKs are chambered in, it's a very cheap centerfire cartridge with similar ballistics to .223. Something like 12cents a round. Smith and Wesson makes an upper chambered in 5.45, but thats it. Very little market for them right now.

What he said. I had a NFA regulated 10.5" upper shipped to me no problem. Now granted I cant put it on a lower until my ATF tax stamp comes back but the only thing controlled is the lower receiver.

No offense to anyone but you dont 'build' an AR, you put them together like legos.

As far as the question, Oly Arms is pretty much crap. I will only buy RRA, STAG or Bushmaster. There are 'better' manufactures available but the ones I listed will do the job and then some at a portion of the cost.

Building an ar is about as difficult as building a computer, aiming you buy all components separately

Back