[hey TW] Look what I found

Obibun

Veteran XV
was kicking around in the garage here

RCA 44BX vintage microphone

24l262w.jpg

2yl9od1.jpg

60+ years old. Might look into getting it restored, apparently fairly valuable.

i was helping my dad remove a stump once and after we ripped it out of the ground I found a top set of dentures and a porcelain doorknob.

i'd rather have the mic

Wikipedia said:
Just a few months later, in 1932, the PB-31 was replaced by the 44A, which was enormously successful and highly regarded for its smooth tone and defined pattern control, which not only reduced the effects of reverberation on soundstages, but also offered higher gain-before-feedback in live sound applications. The 44A was updated with improved magnetic material in the 44B/44BX models.

I would love to find out when this particular microphone was actually made. Says they were built until 1955.

I found a couple vintage microphone restoration guys. One lives ~30 minutes from me (but doesn't restore shit anymore) and referred me to another place in the States. Apparently there's only 3-4 of them on the continent so they all know eachother pretty well.

According to him you can get them 100% fully restored into working microphones. So I'm sure you could easily retrofit it for the computer.

With that said, it's probably going to cost an assload of money. Sent an email to the dude asking for an estimate.

Although a vintage (restored) microphone like this is evidently worth $2000-3000. So it may be worth it.

I found a couple vintage microphone restoration guys. One lives ~30 minutes from me (but doesn't restore shit anymore) and referred me to another place in the States. Apparently there's only 3-4 of them on the continent so they all know eachother pretty well.

According to him you can get them 100% fully restored into working microphones. So I'm sure you could easily retrofit it for the computer.

With that said, it's probably going to cost an assload of money. Sent an email to the dude asking for an estimate.

Although a vintage (restored) microphone like this is evidently worth $2000-3000. So it may be worth it.

Are you normally a boring bastard, or are you making a special effort for this shit thread?

fuck that noise, I'm keeping this

the pops spent close to 40 years in radio (I'm assuming he appropriated this from a radio station early in his career) so if I get it restored it would make a killer gift

fuck that noise, I'm keeping this

the pops spent close to 40 years in radio (I'm assuming he appropriated this from a radio station early in his career) so if I get it restored it would make a killer gift

That would be a pretty sweet gift...

Back