[UK ppl] Are you supposed to tip for delivery in the UK?

Plumber

Contributor
Veteran X
I'm about to order some food online, there is a small delivery fee (£1.25 or something) but are you supposed to tip on top of this? Never know as the accepted "rules" change from country to country (Japan is awesome for never tipping for food, or anything really).

The tipping culture has been brought over here now adays.

I usually just round it up to the nearest £ to make it easier on change, but that's because i'm a regular. In a table for 2 situation at a resturant i'll prob put an extra £3-£5 or none if it was shitty.

When I go to Florida, I'm surprised by how often people are expected to tip over there. In general, we don't tip much here.

I always do and always have done... couple of quid max for the driver. I use HungryHouse for most of my food deliveries now anyway, so its all paid for by card in advance, so I give the driver some loose change. By the reaction of most drivers it seems that they don't really expect a tip!

I very much doubt they pay people a livable wage in London, given national minimum wage requirements are £5.93/hr and the estimated London livable wage is £7.85/hr. People who work in Starbucks, Caffe Nero or Costa don't get paid any more than the national requirement, so I doubt drivers for shitty take-aways do.

Last edited:
Hmmm.. mixed opinions, guess there isn't a set accepted rule here. I guess I'll tip a small amount.

How about at pubs? I'm going to one tomorrow, when you get drinks at the bar, tip or no tip?

Hmmm.. mixed opinions, guess there isn't a set accepted rule here. I guess I'll tip a small amount.

How about at pubs? I'm going to one tomorrow, when you get drinks at the bar, tip or no tip?

Only tip at restaurants where you are seated and they take your order. Don't tip at pubs, or anywhere you order at the bar.

No, but it just isn't known here. They might be confused at you giving them money lol.

Also, if you order food, and there is a delivery charge, do not tip them. The charge goes to them anyhow. So you are essentially tipping them twice.

As for delivery in germany I still tip, because I know how the delivery boy works (I was one of them). Usually 50 cents to 1 Euro, so it'll be rounded up.

But I've had several customers who didn't tip. You wont be "punished" if you don't but you won't get top service (meaning being first on a two pronged delivery) if its known, you're a bad tipper. No spitting into food or something, don't worry.

At a pub, no need, but at a high end bar in London they may expect it, but I never do, because the drinks are so ludicrously priced in the first place.

No spitting into food or something, don't worry.
My mate, when he was 16, had a Saturday job at a restaurant. He reckons the head chef would often spit in customers' food if they kept sending it back. Sometimes he would even piss in the food (and sometimes it was even worse, but I'll spare you the details).

Moral of the story: In a restaurant, don't send the food back too many times.

can i call them a london wanker without looking like a wanker, prat, tit, cunt, silly cunt, cheeky, etc

Back