WestJet airline bans Newfoundland woman after air rage incident

EagleScream

Veteran X
WestJet airline bans Newfoundland woman

By JASON HALSTEAD, QMI Agency

Last Updated: August 12, 2010 4:50am
WestJet bans Newfoundland woman | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

WINNIPEG - A Newfoundlander who forced a Westjet plane to land in Winnipeg after attempting to open the emergency door and fighting with crew has been banned from the airline for life.

In a Winnipeg courtroom Wednesday, Barbara Morton, 47, pleaded guilty to criminal mischief and to one charge under the federal Aeronautics Act for not following directions of cabin crew.

Morton was one of 131 passengers on board a Westjet flight from Calgary to Halifax that was forced to land in Winnipeg on July 6 after she assaulted crew and passengers and attempted to open a door while demanding drugs.

After the plane was safely brought down, Morton was arrested and charged with offences including endangering the safety of an aircraft, assault and mischief. The assault charges were stayed as part of her plea bargain.

She was sentenced Wednesday to 60 more days in jail in addition to the 37 she has served. She was also given three months of probation, during which time she will be banned from flying on any commercial airline without permission from a doctor.

She will also have to undergo drug counselling.

Her sentence included $6,202 in restitution to Westjet -- the amount it cost the airline to conduct the emergency landing. Westjet has permanently banned Morton from flying on its planes.

Morton cried through much of the proceedings as court heard how the St. John's resident told a flight attendant "I need morphine now. I'm on major withdrawal. I'm going to open that f--king door now ... I'm getting off."

Court heard how Morton bit the hand of a 77-year-old male passenger and kicked a flight attendant in the face.

Morton was travelling with her husband, who was also attempting to subdue her, after taking her 13-year-old son to Calgary, where he remains for medical treatment. She was eventually secured to her seat with zip-ties.

Morton was on probation for an assault charge that occurred in Newfoundland at the time of the air-rage incident and court heard she has an extensive criminal record.

Court also heard that Morton suffers from panic attacks, for which she is prescribed medication, and takes the drug OxyContin for pain.

jason.halstead@sunmedia.ca

Cliffs:
-Woman goes nuts trying to get out of plane in mid-flight after claiming she needed morphine NOW, lol
-forced the plane to land in Winnipeg (good choice based on the amount of drugs in that city anyhow, lol)

Last edited:
...the St. John's resident told a flight attendant "I need morphine now. I'm on major withdrawal. I'm going to open that f--king door now ... I'm getting off."

...after taking her 13-year-old son to Calgary, where he remains for medical treatment ...

Makes you wonder where she got the morphine from, and might explain why her son is still in Calgary for medical treatment...

Back