[Annoying] JP Ricciardi [ESPN]

MADness

Veteran X
As if his sucking as a GM wasn't enough now ESPN insists upon putting his greasy ugly looking ass on TV all of the time. :(

they have a bunch of stiffs on baseball tonight

winfield is awful too. so was showalter. doesn't help that they're all constantly deepthroating the yankees & sox

more interesting than this though:

Allegations of a shocking on-field tirade against a gay umpire by the Edmonton Capitals’ manager sparked a revolt in the Golden Baseball League, the Sun has learned.

Brent Bowers was tossed from a road game against the Orange County Express on July 31, allegedly for repeatedly calling umpire Billy Van Raaphorst “a f...ing faggot” after a questionable call.

According to Van Raaphorst’s official ejection report, obtained by the Sun, Bowers screamed profanities at him, made sexually explicit comments and at one point bent over and grabbed his own ankles.

Van Raaphorst, who is openly gay, claims Bowers yelled, “You know what I heard? I heard you are a f...ing faggot. The rumour from several managers and people at the league is that you are a fag.”

He says Bowers threatened him, screaming, “I ought to kick your ass, you faggot.”

Sources say that when the league suspended Bowers for two games, other umpires were so outraged over the slap on the wrist that they refused to officiate GBL games.

“If this sort of incident had happened in any other workplace,” said one baseball official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, “the (perpetrator) would not be working there any more.”

By Friday, the official said, the league convinced the umpires to call off the boycott after promising to address their concerns. However, they were ordered not to talk to anyone about the incident or risk losing their jobs.

But Van Raaphorst’s lawyer said Friday that his client is still waiting to see what measures the league — and the Capitals organization — will take.

“If (Bowers) had run up on an African-American umpire and started using the n-word in a similar derogatory derivation, there’d be a lot of controversy around it. It’s a serious matter,” said Ebby Bakhtiar. “Something needs to be done.”

Van Raaphorst’s report says the incident began when Bowers got into an argument with another official over whether an Orange County player was safe on first base.

Capitals players started screaming from the dugout. After they ignored his warnings, Van Raaphorst ejected two players and Bowers.

That’s when Bowers ran up to him, screaming profanities, Van Raaphorst says.

The Capitals lost all three games against the Express that weekend, 3-2, 6-2, 2-1.

Calls to the GBL’s headquarters in San Ramon, Calif., weren’t returned on Friday.

Officials with the team weren’t talking, either.

“Gotta give you the old no comment on that one,” said Capitals spokesman Ryan Frankson.

Sources close to the Capitals were stunned to hear the allegations against Bowers.

One, who spoke on condition of anonymity, called Bowers “a fantastic guy.”

Earlier this season he was tossed out of a game for performing a “stinkfoot” — holding up a shoe to an umpire and pinching his nose.

“He’s a passionate guy, for sure,” said the source. “And he can get theatrical to whip up the players and the crowd, but I can’t imagine him ever crossing the line like that.”

The veteran baseball official said every umpire knows that jeering and arguing over calls are a part of the game, but the line gets crossed when the attacks become personal.

“You can tell me that I made a (crappy) call. That comes with the territory, but you cross the line if you call me a (crappy) umpire,” the official said. “But what happened to Randy was way, way over the line.”

Caps manager accused of anti-gay rant | Andrew Hanon | Columnists | News | Edmonton Sun

he's back on mlb network and awesome again

mlb network is infinitely better than fuckin espn coverage anymore, sadly - in spite of the recent absurd coverage of ny/bos because of the series

mlb network has great coverage every evening just before the east coast games start up, and they constantly take you to any game that has anything important going on, which is nice. they also have a good recap show for the whole day that they loop overnight so whenever you get back from doing whatever you can flip it on & get caught up on everything in a half hr

Last edited:
valentine isn't bad

i just dig reynolds/larkin/mitch williams/ripkin (billy, the shitty yet funnier one)/magrane/plesac/casey

they also do some demo on the playing field where one of them inevitably gets hurt doing something dumb

they also bet on stupid shit like which team will hr first for a given evening, and get double money for guessing who hits it. this always ends up being filled with rage & taunting from everyone else

It's weird watching men in suits demonstrate something in baseball.

I feel like I'm watching a bunch of corporate fat cats exercising or something

I don't know if it's the best catch ever like stuwart scott said on sportscenter, but it's the best homerun robbing catch I've ever seen.

there's a lot more ad-libbing & what not which can be awkward but definitely more entertaining than listening to winfield tell me that if a team isn't going to score runs they're not going to win

hazel_resigns.gif

hazel mae, used to be the only good thing associated with the red sox

he's back on mlb network and awesome again

mlb network is infinitely better than fuckin espn coverage anymore, sadly - in spite of the recent absurd coverage of ny/bos because of the series

mlb network has great coverage every evening just before the east coast games start up, and they constantly take you to any game that has anything important going on, which is nice. they also have a good recap show for the whole day that they loop overnight so whenever you get back from doing whatever you can flip it on & get caught up on everything in a half hr

MLB network is really awesome.

The ability to jump live to any game that has something special happening is something that is awesome. Last year it allowed me to see the end of Randy Johnson's 300th win and this year they jumped to Gallaraga's perfect game.

Unlike ESPN (even with Baseball Tonight) they take the time to show even west coast games and games that have unpopular teams.

Also Prime 9 is awesome and the Bob Costas interview shows are really good too since he rocks and he is able to get guys who usually aren't very media friendly like Bob Gibson (and he really got Willie Mays to open up a bit too).

Back