Surroagtes: reality

Goshin

GriftKing
Veteran XX
The robot that visits your cubicle - CNN.com

The 5-foot-6, 35-pound robot contains a video camera, a still camera and a microphone. From a laptop, Blackwell can see everything the robot sees. He hears what the robot hears. And, when he talks, the robot projects his voice.

At $15,000, the QB is designed for commercial clients now, Blackwell said, but he thinks consumer robots aren't too far off. People could use them to go on remote vacations, he said, touring the streets of a faraway country or interacting with the locals without ever leaving their bedrooms.

uhhhhh. i dunno. Why not just go into the office and do the same thing?

seeing and hearing a new country are not the same as actually going there and tasting and smelling and feeling and dying

wtf is this shit

this use makes sense
Do you see uses for this outside of the office?

Definitely. One of the big uses is in factories. We use it in our factory, which is actually just on the other side of town. But so many factories are in Asia.

The advantage is, you can have your most experienced engineer go look at that thing coming off the production line instantly, rather than having to send someone there who has to be a generalist and has to spend a day flying there.
but couldnt they do that with a webcam anyway?

Last edited:
i want a jet pack flying car space station

fuck this future

shit, i suck at typing :(

Last edited:
watched surrogates last night

would have maybe been popular if it came out before matrix/i robot

THEY TOOK ER' JERBS!!!!!
l343876c40000_1_26995.jpg

go on vacation and work for 8 hours
difference is you're sitting in a chair on a beach maybe, tooling around with your bot

BUT you dont need that bot.
install some cameras if you need to watch your employees, and call their business lines or email with any questions or whatever.

webcams or streaming video to allow an expert to view what they need to and make a decision

no need to drop 15k on some toy

uhhhhh. i dunno. Why not just go into the office and do the same thing?
For the same reasons people telecommute now. No need to get dressed up, bother with traffic, or maintain a space in the office that could be used for other purposes.

webcams or streaming video to allow an expert to view what they need to and make a decision

no need to drop 15k on some toy
Webcams don't have the same mobility and rarely have the remote control over that it sees.

$15k seems about inline with what new technology like this costs the early adopters. Increased penetration in the market place will drive that down. It's no different (or more expensive) than the price of the first PCs.

right, but why bother with a robot for 15k at all?

people telecomute for expense management (from the business perspective).
buying a 15k place holder defeats that purpose

Back