I'm just now using a Mac for the first time.

skysnipe

Contributor
Veteran X
I think it's alright...Has about the same functionality as a windows PC.

But if I had to choose I'd definitely choose windows.

P.S. this is a friends Macbook pro.

P.P.S. I like how you can turn on and off the keyboard and monitor so you can cruise to Pandora all night sleeping.

I think my favorite thing about OSX is the speed and usability. With Windows, I had to wait for the boot up, wait for Windows to load, wait for the login, and wait for Windows to launch all it's BS in order for me to finally use the computer.

With OSX, you turn it on and the computer is ready to use almost instantly.

your school never made you use a mac? i've never owned a mac, but i've used IIes, fruity imacs, g4s, and modern imacs at school

my i7 (@4ghz) boots windows 7 in 4-5 seconds flat (ssd). my desktop is fully loaded within 1 second of logging in, in other words, instantly. I'm sure there is not a mac on the planet that can do that from being shut down to fully operational.

I just like the startup speed on the lol labtops from sleep. lightning quick

I never paid attention to it, but you're right. They come out of sleep almost instantly.

Awesome++ love my macbook prodizzle.

my i7 (@4ghz) boots windows 7 in 4-5 seconds flat (ssd). my desktop is fully loaded within 1 second of logging in, in other words, instantly. I'm sure there is not a mac on the planet that can do that from being shut down to fully operational.

Im pretty sure with the same specs and ssd hard drive a mac would do exactly the same thing.. OSX loads fast in general, and on lower spec hardware. So anything your hardware does with Windows, it can do (probably better) with OSX. :dapimp:

why do people obsess so much over an operating system when 99.99% of what youre doing involves the applications. at which point the OS's sole job is to task switch and glue hardware and software... none of which is discernible to the average user.

all visual stuff is the shell, not the OS, which can be replaced on any OS to look like any other interface. for example windows can be made to look exactly like MacOS.

from my perspective, all that matters beyond performance (which every OS should have down to a tee by now) are the available applications.

I agree, paying twice as much for something with half the power is pretty cool because it starts up instantly from sleep.

Im pretty sure with the same specs and ssd hard drive a mac would do exactly the same thing.. OSX loads fast in general, and on lower spec hardware. So anything your hardware does with Windows, it can do (probably better) with OSX. :dapimp:

Thats the problem with current Macs, they don't put effort into staying neck to neck with PC performance. Find me a Mac with an ATI 5970. Hell, I don't even know if Macs have a 5870. Windows 7, is in general an incredibly solid OS that is very efficient. It comes down to hardware at this point, which Mac runs in the past with. The difference is so pronounced that I run OSX on my PC, because it runs faster than it does on my Macbook Pro.

argue.gif

it takes awhile to get used to, once you do its a nice OS

^

the only downfalls i find in Macs are the need to hold down another button to right click, and the way windows and such are situated. aside from that, their protection is amazing and the quality is top tier. i have an hp for the simple fact that i grew up on windows and i'm too lazy to make the switch into learning the new OS entirely

Thats the problem with current Macs, they don't put effort into staying neck to neck with PC performance. Find me a Mac with an ATI 5970. Hell, I don't even know if Macs have a 5870. Windows 7, is in general an incredibly solid OS that is very efficient. It comes down to hardware at this point, which Mac runs in the past with. The difference is so pronounced that I run OSX on my PC, because it runs faster than it does on my Macbook Pro.

Are you comparing a desktop PC to a laptop, or a laptop to another laptop?

In any case, Im fairly sure that I'll never buy a Mac Pro anyway so I don't give much of a shit about the nitty gritty of the specs. Its obvious that one will always be able to build a faster custom computer than a pre-made Mac... Apple can't (won't?) keep up.

Back