[Tools] Cordless circular saws

JuggerNaught

Contributor
Veteran XX
I want to pick up a cordless saw for minor cutting. Im looking at the Dewalt 18v circular. Has anyone got one? Like it? dont like it?

The tools are made well but the Dewalt batteries aren't the greatest. For minor cutting though it shouldn't be a big deal.

The point is: if you are doing minor cutting (as the OP says) you do not need to spend the money on a Dewalt. You can pick up an 18v Ryobi set for half the cost, and it will meet anything you would normally run into as a standard homeowner. If you are into serious work, then go for a Dewalt ( and at that point you would go for Milwaukee), but otherwise... why spend the money?

I think when it comes to stuff like this, you can either spend a lil extra money and get decent gear the first time around...or you can rebuy the same piece in 6-8 months when the cheapy dies.

I think when it comes to stuff like this, you can either spend a lil extra money and get decent gear the first time around...or you can rebuy the same piece in 6-8 months when the cheapy dies.

Unless he is doing heavy work, there is no need to spend the cash. The Ryobi/DeWalt clash is ridiculous. Is he building a closet or a house? It answers itself. A Ryobi 18v drill or circular saw, or sawsall is not going to die in 6 months if it is the proper tool for the job.

i've used the same ryobi 18v cordless drill/saw combo since 2003 and the only problem i've had is having to replace the batteries every few years

i've used dewalt as well, and albeit nicer, not worth the extra $$$ unless you do it as a profession

i mean it's not going to cut a straighter line or anything

Be sure to remove the safety guard. They're useless and you'll save tons of time being able to cut faster.

I've had the original dewalt 18v for at least ten years it's outlasted $300 worth of batteries. Keep your batteries fresh, your blades perfect, and the saw at max rpms and it will last forever.

Back