[BP] Was it a Shakedown?

He doesn't run the country. The left does.

What he said was correct. Anytime a company makes a mistake, the government comes in and takes it over with strong arm tactics. It's bullying.

Look at what Obama did with the crisis. Didn't talk to BP execs for 2 months, grills them in the media, then hauls them in and lets his cronies grill the CEO saying they're not cooperating. What they wanted BP to do was admit more guilt, even after they said sorry and already pledged 20 billion.

I love how the right says obama is being too gentle with BP, so he toughens up and they say he's "stong arming" them.

or did nobody else notice this?

What he said was correct.

Then why did he apologize for saying it? Why has the republican party publicly chided him for it? If they are just "playing politics" and they really do believe what he said was correct, they aren't being very honest about this incident, are they?

NGFM, why does your post come to the aid of large corporations when large corporations are the cause of your daily unhappiness in the cube farm?

It should honestly be a team effort to fix this problem instead of this blame game. The problem effects everyone and both parties are to blame for this mess.
Who is buying all this oil from BP? Americans
Who let them drill of the coast of the US? Americans

They should work together instead of these stall tactics.

I love how the right says obama is being too gentle with BP, so he toughens up and they say he's "stong arming" them.

or did nobody else notice this?

No one else noticed it. You're the only one smart enough to think that "the right" is a single entity that always agrees with itself.

Okay then what is your point? I understood your argument as:

Some people on the right thought he was being too soft. Some pepole on the right thought he was being too tough. Therefore everyone on the right is stupid and hypocritical.

That would be demented thinking, so I must have misunderstood you. Please explain.

When the king demands that you create a 20 billion dollar fund you do it. It's not like we are one of those countries with laws and a system of justice.

YouTube - BOB SEGER - SHAKEDOWN

Who said politics have to make sense? I see some great arguments in this thread, but they seem to miss the fact that the company cut corners and safety percautions and caused a huge fucking disaster that will destroy 1/5 of our seacoast.

Last edited:
I thought Republicans are for smaller government? If they think getting a company to clean up the mess it made is wrong, then you tell me who is going to do it. The US government? Great, then we the American public get to foot the bill. That is nothing more than a bailout for one company.

What he said was correct. Anytime a company makes a mistake, the government comes in and takes it over with strong arm tactics. It's bullying.

Look at what Obama did with the crisis. Didn't talk to BP execs for 2 months, grills them in the media, then hauls them in and lets his cronies grill the CEO saying they're not cooperating. What they wanted BP to do was admit more guilt, even after they said sorry and already pledged 20 billion.

Poor little BP being picked on by Obama and the government.

Give me a fucking break. This is the largest man-made environmental disaster we've seen in history. You want to know why he did this, look back at Exxon and their treatment of the Valdez spill.

It happened 21 years ago.
It cost us $2.5 billion in cleanup alone.
They spilled only around 11 million Gallons.
They were fined $5 billion in 1994, and fought it in the courts until 2008 when that amount was reduced to a measly $500 million. In 2009 they were still fighting the payout and still had another $120 million left to pay out.

That same year they went back and found there were still 16,000 gallons in the tide zones..

This, the largest oil spill on record, is occurring in the gulf right now roughly every 4 days. If Exxon was willing to fight for 20 years, there is no way BP wouldn't fight as long if not longer to withhold money from those affected.

Can you honestly tell me you trust what the head of the corporation responsible for the destruction of the gulf says in public?

I figured you guys would be all over this in a good way, the more Obama can wring out of BP's pockets, the less the tax payer will have to pay for.

Last edited:
Back