[Bartending] For all the bartenders of TW or anyone that knows a thing or two..

Today I was approached by a customer asking for a double Gin & Tonic.
Unfortunately with the Qantas Club, we cannot serve doubles anymore, which in a way is fair but stupid if the customer was smart about it.

So, I usually give probably a nip and a half just to keep them satisfied, but seeing as I had my supervisors and Qantas Managers roaming the place and all around me, I just played it safe and kindly told the guy that it's a house policy for us to not serve doubles.

So, he then replied with "Ok that's fine, I'll have a gin & tonic..and a gin neat seperate please".

OF course I can't say "I'm not fucking stupid" but seriously, how do I even begin to explain how stupid this house policy is when a customer who is even smart about ordering would actually know how to follow these steps the guy did?

How do I go about this though?

You don't. Corporate knows their policy is full of holes and there is an easy way around it, but it deters enough folks and is a good policy to tell the court if they are charged with over-serving a patron.

Well, if your place is allowed to serve two drinks to the same person, then what do you care. You charge him for both and send him on the way, he is happy because he gets his double and your manager is happy because the rules were followed and he got money.

/thread.

I would have told him what you just told us. That you can't do doubles, but can do a rip and a half. Unless they're checking the exact pours of the bottles, which would suck.

There's not audit on the spirit nips.
Heck, I can steal a bottle and they won't even do a weekly or daily check of how many bottles there are.
Seeing as the Qantas Club doesn't have cash on premises and the only way to be able to access the club is by paying $600 AUD and being a frequent flyer...I don't even think they care where the bottles go, as long as they get the money through the contract with the Spirit Companies and such then they're happy.

the penultimate paragraph in your post makes no fucking sense

you're a retard and thats why you are working a shitty job as a bartender in an airport

Well, if your place is allowed to serve two drinks to the same person, then what do you care. You charge him for both and send him on the way, he is happy because he gets his double and your manager is happy because the rules were followed and he got money.

/thread.

this.

If i go to a place that doesn't serve double they either give me two or a drink and a shot.

Yes as I said any other time I just go with it...I have no problem serving doubles..but when i'm told to keep it 'classy' and follow rules while also disallowing double shots then that's where it becomes really fucking retarded.

mixedbymantello.jpg

fuck you phalanx

So what's the problem? Do you work at a bar that only allows one drink per order or something? This is so trivial.

Are there cameras watching?

Or are you just worried a manager will walk by as you're doing it and bust you?
Or is it the drunk on the plane that will get in trouble and come back to you as the reason he was smashed?

Probably both. I guess you'll have to play it by ear. The people you're serving want the doubles because they don't have much time (unless a long lay over), and they don't want to piss that much.

Tell them to order a Long Island Iced Tea. What happens on that one? A shot of 4 liquors right? Or do you have to cut it to 1/2?

Let's see... it's against the rules, but I'm Mantelo. Pay close atention.

*stainless steel mixer flies out of nowhere and is caught by Mantello, he swiftly scoops the ice with one hand and pours both bottles into mixer. both strainer and top land on mixer and he shakeswhile pouring a gin in the other hand*

Here, take this. *strains the gin andtonic into glass wihle handing him the single shot of gin and looks over shoulder for manager* And here is the drink U wanted. *heroically slides the drink down the bar 2 the customer and over the PA u hearMMMMMMMMMIXED BY MANTELLO and he smile and he teeth sparkle*

That will be 14.00 dollars please would you like to me to keep this open

Back