[360] Modding

JodoFett

Contributor
Veteran XX
So I don't really need to know any info about backing up games or whatever, but I am curious if this is feasible. If I have a DVD-Drive from a dead 360 (hooray) - can I flash the firmware on THAT, and put it in my current 360 and then change back when I want to plug my 360 back into the internet? Are the tests done by the 360 itself or by XBL once your 360 is online?

I'm sure someone here knows.

Tests are not done by the 360, they are done over XBL, and can be very tricky (like giving a command to your 360 that, if operating under standard firmware, shouldn't be able to comply with, and then when it does, b&).

If you never go online with the modded 360, you shouldn't run into any problems, I believe. Hopefully other people will back me up on this.

As far as popping a drive from one 360 into another, I don't know how feasible that is. I imagine it is, but I don't know.

Yeah, I probably won't test it out myself, but if it is ust doing a check when the 360 goes on live, I am thinknig it would be feasible to basically swap them out if I wanted to play online or offline (though it would be a lot of trouble).

swapping drives is a bit of a bitch

think of it this way.. your 360's motherboard is like a lock, and your drive is like the key. you try to stick the wrong key into the lock and it wont go.. except in the case of the 360, it will spit the key back in your face and brick the 360 (to my understanding)

my older 360 that would stop reading discs, someone from TW replaced the drive for me but it was the same TYPE of drive.. so he replaced a hitachi drive with a hitachi. dunno if its even possible to replace a hitachi with say, a benq for example

xtasy knows a lot about modding, try asking him

It's possible to switch, but you have to spoof the key for it and it will get you banned on XBL almost immediately.

I'm not sure what it's like in your area, but ever since ms banned the million 360s they're all over craigslist. They were selling for around $75-100, which tempted me (I just didn't have any room for another 360 :/ ).

It might be something to look in to: it would be a lot easier to swap out cables than a drive, and you wouldn't have to worry about the banhammer

I'm not sure what it's like in your area, but ever since ms banned the million 360s they're all over craigslist. They were selling for around $75-100, which tempted me (I just didn't have any room for another 360 :/ ).

It might be something to look in to: it would be a lot easier to swap out cables than a drive, and you wouldn't have to worry about the banhammer

I did this... before realizing you need to reflash it every time a new wave of games come out and that requires some hardware(adapter cable and a compatible SATA card). So far I've been to lazy to get it up to the current wave (wave 6) from the wave 3 i bought it at. Now its pretty much a paperweight unless I want to grab older games.

If you want to use another drive in your 360, you have to take the key from the drive currently in your 360 and swap it with the new drive's key.

There are programs out there that let you do it, but it's a full day's job so be sure you have plenty of time to do it.

I did this... before realizing you need to reflash it every time a new wave of games come out and that requires some hardware(adapter cable and a compatible SATA card). So far I've been to lazy to get it up to the current wave (wave 6) from the wave 3 i bought it at. Now its pretty much a paperweight unless I want to grab older games.

I just use the wave patcher - 360 waves patcher wave converter for all firmwares. It will convert any iso to be compatible with any wave up to wave 4 allowing it to run on pretty much any existing FW.

Keep in mind that this will unstealth your games completely. I didn't care because my 360 is already banned(I spoofed mine before they had a working benq FW, then put the benq in once the FW was out for it.) I used xbl for about 4 months after that before MS banned it.

Yeah I tried that and it didn't work with a wave6 to wave3 so I could run it. Guess it could have been a bad ISO. Only tried it with army of 2 2 or what ever they decided to call it.

Like I said I bought this box banned anyways.

wow really its up to wave6 now? :lol:

no matter how you end up getting a box modded, look into how to do it yourself because eventually you'll have to flash the drive with new firmware

this is of course unless you know a person IRL who will do it for free every time new firmware comes out :p

I'm no expert but I was under the impression that each DVD rom has a unique key tied to the motherboard and you aren't able to swap them out. Their may be a way to spoof it however.

As far as banning goes, I've heard that the 360 records when the discs aren't stealthed properly so the next time you go online it will send out the report to MS.

But I'm not certain.

See, this is a fucktonne of work. There arent even enough good games out to entice me to put forth this much effort to steal them :S

There aer plenty of good games, but the ones worth stealing are the ones that you want to play online anyway.

seems like way too much work when you could just buy the games used off eBay, then sell them back a couple months later at basically the same price. just wait a at least a few months after a game is released for it to drop in price.

Yeah, I probably won't test it out myself, but if it is ust doing a check when the 360 goes on live, I am thinknig it would be feasible to basically swap them out if I wanted to play online or offline (though it would be a lot of trouble).

you want that SSF4 don't you?

Spoiler

Yeah, I'll be chilling at our local Dojo as much as possible as they already have a few setups running.

the file that tags if u mod ur xbox 360 is stored in the 360 it uploads when it gets net even after u put the original hardware back in. not all the dvd's are the same model fyi.

Back