So I need a four phone line system at my office

MotB Chaos

Veteran XV
My office has had a "centranet" service for the past 12 years. We have seven lines and we're able to do basic stuff like transferring calls, call rolling (if the main line is busy, it will ring the next line), forwarding calls, etc. It costs too much nowadays, about $400/mo.

Anyone know of more modern alternatives that would be cheaper? I only need four lines now. I wouldn't mind a software based system with VOIP (or something like that), but I haven't been able to find one that doesn't cost $1000.

Asterisk is very easily hacked if you don't set it up right. It is a bit more complicated than what vawlk is saying but there are guides out there to tighten up the security. For four lines I'd give it a shot.

it's as easy as that! Don't worry about compatible phones, analog\t1 cards, hardware echo cancellation, setting up extensions, or anything else!

Also you're looking to get out cheap, so use software phones with usb headset\mics. run it on an old whitebox in your phone closet. Don't worry about business communication goes out for a few hours because of a bad power supply or other such tomfoolery that never happens.

the same could be said for any system really. A basic system is easy and you can add in the ability to do just about anything any major high end phone system can do.

stfu phantred.

go to the doctor and get whatever the fuck crawled up your butt in the last few weeks removed.

absolutely not, the same cannot be said

even shittastic home phones going out is rare, that shit lasts forever.

switching to asterisk, 'easyness' aside, just doesn't work on a thousand dollar budget. Depending on his lines it's impossible.

stfu phantred.

go to the doctor and get whatever the fuck crawled up your butt in the last few weeks removed.

sorry, but the 'lol linux whitebox' answer is 99 times out of 100 a bad idea. Even if it was the best option for the money(which it certainly isn't) it's complicating a very simple problem.

not sure why that would hurt your feelings

FRYS.com | Panasonic

Expandable up to 16 stations / Speakerphone / LCD / Clock Timer / 32 one touch memory buttons / Intercom / Page / Call Transfer Speakerphone at base Backlit multifunction LCD screen 24-Digit Per Station Dialer Storage Capacity - perfect for international phone numbers 32 One-Touch Memory Buttons 6 Number Redial Adjustable Handset Volume Control 8-Step Speakerphone Volume Control 4-Step Ringer Volume Control plus Ringer On / Off Convenient Line Selection - Group / Prime / Auto Intercom / Voice Paging / Call Transfer Hold / Mute / Redial / Flash Selectable Do Not Disturb mode Real Time Clock AM / PM Format Wall Mountable or May be used on Desk or Table 2 Desktop Angle Choices Power Outage Operation (Requires Battery) 2.5mm Headset Jack for adding an optional phone headset Bilingual Menu Support (English / Spanish) Can work during Power Outage (requires battery)

$60.

while I agree with you about the linux whitebox answer, asterisk is plenty mature enough.

If they are paying $400/mo now, they can afford to get something better than an unexpandable 4 line turnkey system from radio shack.

the OP says he is looking for something UNDER $1000

Doesn't have much to do with what you think they could afford :shrug:

Yeah, a few 4 line phones are not gonna do it. I would still need to pay the phone company for the crap that I'm paying for right now (albeit a bit cheaper since it's 4 instead of 7 lines).

I'm looking for voip solutions to get rid of the stupid charges coming from Verizon (my phone service provider).

Still reading up on Asterisk. A lot of what's written seems to be written for people who know something about these types of systems (which I don't).

Anyone know of more modern alternatives that would be cheaper? I only need four lines now. I wouldn't mind a software based system with VOIP (or something like that), but I haven't been able to find one that doesn't cost $1000.

Research Talkswitch. We're a reseller, if you need help PM me and we can discuss things.

Its a solid system, and its unbelievably cheap compared to other systems.

lol, like this "introduction"

Introduction
A PBX is only really useful if you can get calls into it. Of course, you can use Asterisk with VoIP calls (SIP, H.323, IAX, etc.), but you can also talk to the real PSTN through various cards.

Supported Hardware is divided into two general groups: DAHDI devices and non-DAHDI devices. The DAHDI compatible hardware supports pseudo-TDM conferencing and all call features through chan_dahdi, whereas non-DAHDI compatible hardware may have different features.

Yeah, a few 4 line phones are not gonna do it. I would still need to pay the phone company for the crap that I'm paying for right now (albeit a bit cheaper since it's 4 instead of 7 lines).

what are you paying the phone company for that you don't want to pay for anymore?

400$ is a LOT for just 7 phone lines, even if its housed in the central office. You might just wanna see if there's any contract discounts. Centrex systems for cali run about 17$ per line + usage, which you could easily have unlimited local calling plans.

If you're in cali, pm me and i'll help ya out

Back