ATM skimmer

always cover up the keypad when you enter the pin. if you do that, they generally can't hurt you too much

yea i always hold my wallet over my hand... i have done it out of paranoia before i ever heard of these.

The worst part is a lot of bank employees who maintenance the machines can't even spot them (poor training).

Once the skimmer has the info it's the worst kind of fraud because they can make a new card and do ATM cash withdrawals since they have the pin. With most debit / cc fraud they just buy gas or shit where you can just sign and it's easier to get your bank to cooperate and refund since the merchant will essentially eat the loss.

There's skimmers here in Australia. In Sydneys west they're using McDonalds drive thru eftpos machines to skim. OR people are actually breaking into stores, replacing the machines with their own and they just make their money off from the amount of people swiping their cards.

It's fucked.

I just never use ATMs, if i need cash i just hit up a store somewhere and get cash back after buying something small

The ATM I use (Wells Fargo) has an oddly-shaped thing where you put the card in that makes it essentially impossible for anything to be attached to it. If something were, it'd be quite obvious.

Back