Canon 5D Mk II - 7D - or ?

Kiint

Contributor
Veteran XX
I want a DSLR that does HD Video with external mic.

I am not interested in a dedicated video camera, because I also want the ability to use lenses with the video side of things which you can't do for less than $10k on a dedicated video camera.

The external mic is so that I can at least do stereo, audio quality is not critical as I will be doing dubbing most of the time. I just want the ability to plug in a stereo mic so that if I forget to take the audio recorder I am not stuck with shitty mono.

Also, I want the ability to take good quality stills, which is the other reason I don't want a dedicated video camera.

i will refrain from posting anything useful in this thread, other than, enjoy your ugly ass clumsy pos glass havin nikon wannabe.

Spoiler

I don't really understand how good quality video is a gimmick? It's not going to be the quality of a high end dedicated video camera, but thats not the point anyways.

7D is a 1.6 crop.
If you can afford a 5DMK2 and are using it for other than Sport shooting, Get the fucking 5DMK2.

CanonNFL.jpg

The 5D mark 2 and the 7D are great but from what I have seen and heard the built in mics are not so good so I would recommend getting a shotgun mic that mounts on the hotshoe.

Here are a couple amazing videos made with the 5d mark2 and the 1D mark 4

Canon Digital Learning Center - Sample EOS 5D Mark II Video: Reverie

Vincent Laforet “Nocturne” Shot with Canon 1D Mark IV Photography Bay | Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources

Both of these videos were shot with no really post processing at all.. pretty much all right out of the camera and sequenced.

I don't really understand how good quality video is a gimmick? It's not going to be the quality of a high end dedicated video camera, but thats not the point anyways.

just a normal handheld dedicated video camera outperforms it. doesn't have to be a high end one.

i will refrain from posting anything useful in this thread, other than, enjoy your ugly ass clumsy pos glass havin nikon wannabe.

and based on your preferences, nikon aint an option, so all i'll say is good luck

When nikon offer FullHD I will consider them, but as far as I am aware only the D90 offers video and even then, only 720p.

In the DSLR market, it seems that Canon regularly get all the kudos in all the reviews I read, nikon always seem to come runner up, especially at high ISO with noise.

Price range is up to about $4000us with lens.

The only dedicated video cameras that allow interchangable lenses start at about $8000us and take shit stills, considering I will be doing maybe 70% stills and 30% video, the video recording SLR is my ideal choice.

When nikon offer FullHD I will consider them, but as far as I am aware only the D90 offers video and even then, only 720p.

In the DSLR market, it seems that Canon regularly get all the kudos in all the reviews I read, nikon always seem to come runner up, especially at high ISO with noise.

Price range is up to about $4000us with lens.

The only dedicated video cameras that allow interchangable lenses start at about $8000us and take shit stills, considering I will be doing maybe 70% stills and 30% video, the video recording SLR is my ideal choice.

holy fuck, its triple. you are more retard than he. wtf kind of retard statement is this? has never and will never be true. nikon film and dslrs have always, and will always rule supremely over canon in every meaningful respect (including high iso / low light noise). the fact that they suck at video, and their compacts suck dont change the fact that nikon makes the worlds best slrs (at least ever since they stopped selling their bodies to fuji)

holy fuck, its triple. you are more retard than he. wtf kind of retard statement is this? has never and will never be true. nikon film and dslrs have always, and will always rule supremely over canon in every meaningful respect (including high iso / low light noise). the fact that they suck at video, and their compacts suck dont change the fact that nikon makes the worlds best slrs (at least ever since they stopped selling their bodies to fuji)

A lot of qualifications there ...

Suck at video (duh)
Compacts suck (uhh ok)
Stop selling to Fuji (wow, any more?)

It sounds like you have a hard on for Nikon the exact same way triple has a hard on for Canon. You seem to offer a completely unbiased reason why to avoid Canon and choose Nikon based on my needs (1920x1080 video being one)

I read reviews before I buy, and much of my time is spent on dpreview reading comments from people which tends to balance any bias.

Things that are not critical are professional grade anything, I want better than your average joe shit, but I am not trying to make money. I just want to capture memories (both picture and video in a single unit) with the best quality at a reasonable cost. Things like viewfinder 98% vs 100% coverage are unimportant and is purely for masturbation use by Motoxx and triple.

...You seem to offer a completely unbiased reason why to avoid Canon and choose Nikon based on my needs (1920x1080 video being one)...

where do you hear me recommending nikon to YOU? i understand your want, and therefore did not recommend nikon, despite it being a far superior slr manufacturer.

i just tore into you for saying that top nikon is noisier than top canon, which is just plain wrong, and everyone worth a shit will agree with me, since it always has been and prob always will be so clearly evident.

Why the hell would HD video be such a big deal on a DSLR? Its going to be shit no matter what you get. HD video is still a gimmick at this stage on DSLRs, and a stupid one at that.

If you want a still camera, get a DSLR.

If you want a HD video camera, get a fucking video camera.

You aren't going to get anything that is great at both yet.

Why the hell would HD video be such a big deal on a DSLR? Its going to be shit no matter what you get. HD video is still a gimmick at this stage on DSLRs, and a stupid one at that.

If you want a still camera, get a DSLR.

If you want a HD video camera, get a fucking video camera.

You aren't going to get anything that is great at both yet.

basically what he said. if you want a camera you won't go wrong with cannon or nikon. video on those DSLRs is just to lure in consumers. I'm sure they don't do bad video but if you're more about video then get a video camera otherwise if you get a dslr think of video as your second priority.

^^

like i said... gimmick.

Yeah, go what a telephoto lens on your dedicated camera for $500.

i'm still trying to figure out what the uses of a set of telephoto lens on a DSLR recording video are...

you going to record kids playing soccer? good luck with the focusing. DSLRs don't really autofocus well while taking videos.

you going to take videos of nature? see above

you going to take videos of your supermodel neighbor changing? if so, please post.

you're not going to be getting any sound from that distance too.

Back