Recommend a good Blu Ray player

Oktane

I already have a PS3 for myself but I'm looking for a Blu Ray player as a xmas gift for my mom. I was actually considering getting her a PS3 slim because of the built-in wifi because I know she'd get alot of use out of streaming Netflix if I get her a player that will do that. And it seems like the standalone Blu Ray players that have built-in wifi are in the same price range as a PS3.

I was looking at some Samsungs that are "Netflix compatible" and "wifi ready" or whatever they call it, but have read several horror stories as far as their firmware, ie. the player starts acting up and people update the firmware and then the update bricks the player altogether.

So, if you were going to buy a Blu Ray player as a gift for your parents, and Netflix is a priority, what players would you be looking at? I guess built-in wifi isn't an absolute necessity but it is preferred.

Is Blu-Ray really THAT much better than DVDs? I honestly have no idea, I've never really seen a blu-ray video before...

Is Blu-Ray really THAT much better than DVDs? I honestly have no idea, I've never really seen a blu-ray video before...

Well some Blu Ray movies look better than others, but a well-done Blu Ray on a 1080p tv blows away any DVD on the same tv.

Hmm yeah, I have been thinking PS3 slim all along, but I went to Best Buy today and they were sold out of 120gb models, all they had were the 250gb. So I figured I would check here to see if anybody had any better ideas in the meantime. It seems like the PS3 slim really makes sense in this situation though. I got her a Logitech Harmony awhile back so if I go with the PS3 then I'll probably get her that damned IR-to-bluetooth adapter so I can keep her using one remote.

Let me jump on the PS3 bandwagon. We watch 6 hours a week at least of streamed Netflix on it, beyond the blu-rays and stuff I stream from my media server.

Back