TribalBlog

Goshin

GriftKing
Veteran XX
So recently (1 hour ago) i was asked by work if I wanted to volunteer to work 6x10's from november 9th-early feb at our corporate office.
Per diem, paid rooms, OT and holiday pay.
I worked it out to over $11500.00 in extra pay. They need to know by wednesday.

I live in Austin TX, where it gets to around 35 in feb and i hate myself. Never been in snow really, or extreme cold. They want me to go to Bloomington Illionois

I would need winter clothes for real… but the extra money would be extremely hard to come by any other way.
I just don’t know
The money would be great. I could sock it into my retirement fund (which has not been funded much at all this last year…) and that was one of my goals for life, always put 5k into retirement fund a year.
Another 3-4k can go to my house and wittle down my principle payment…
The rest (3k?) can be used to do stuff. Buy clothes and gifts, tv, desk, computer. That kinda stuff. And yes, i need that stuff. computer is 6 years old, don't have a desk, and my tv is a 20' crt.

I've got a relationship of 14 months and an 11 month dog with her that usually stays with me, so i would miss those two a lot. I think i'll have 3 weekends off where i can go visit them

Pros:
11.5k or more for:
tv, computer, desk
retirement fund
pay down P on Mortgage, get rid of mortgage insurance (~$111/mo)
allow me to study/catch up on reading while i do nothing in the evenings

cons:
never been in that kind of cold before
dont have the clothes for it
being away from significant other and puppy
old dog has a very real chance of dieing while i'm away (she's 12)
GF HATES traveling by air. She freaks out and needs to take a xanax and stuff. So she most likely wont visit

what say you, bastards of the internet?

Last edited:
it's a good opportunity. Learn about horrible flood insurance and claims handling for that, team player/volunteer aspect, that kinda stuff

I would be all over this. You will spend NONE of your own money the entire time you are there so not only will you make nearly 12k more you will save a shit load on the little stuff like food,gas,utilities.

well it will be shitty living there but the extra pay is real nice but is that before or after tax

i wouldn't do it. that area of illinois is miserable as fuck in the winter. 11 grand isn't a lot of money.

believe it is before
I havent crunched the numbers in a month. let me do it again real fast

I may have fucked up the numbers. My new estimate comes to $22100 and they may ask us to stay another few weeks, which is another $3000.
This is before taxes

and somehow i feel that is wrong
$22/hr x 40, + $33/hr*20, x4, x 3. Plus per diem of $40 (may be low here).
doesnt include a few days of holiday pay where i make $55/hr.

Fraggle, it's not a lot of money when you make a lot of money. I make $42k a year and have a house/car/insurance/normal expenses.

definitely do this.

You will make bank and spend very little. You could probably even make enough to have ur gf come stay with you for a week. Fly her up there for some poon.

22k before taxes seems like a lot of money...

I'm starting to lean towards doing it
I've never experienced a horrible, soul killing winter before, and i've been meaning to see if i can survive hell on earth... so that would be good

give me more information regarding miserable as fuck area of illinois.
and other cons besides "not much money"

its basically a 50% increase in your salary for the year. You would be stupid to listen to fraggle.

To experience what the cold will be like dip your balls in ice water for 5-10 minutes. working 6x10 you won't have time to get too bored. on your off day you can always play games on your new gaming laptop ;)

What's the alternative? Sit around and do the same thing you've been doing all year?

Do it. Will make you look good + mo' money. You win.

exactly BM
same job, which i've been doing in different capabilities for 2 years and which is...well it allows for me to be compeltely up to date on any news i find worth looking at on CNN, BBC, Al jeezra, or my space rocket/crazy technology forum.

is a gaming laptop...good? I feel like i need my desktop dammit

is a gaming laptop...good? I feel like i need my desktop dammit

not as good as a desktop obviously but if you are going to be living out of a hotel it would be nice to have a laptop capable of doing something more than browsing the internet.

i dunno if i can make a commitement to buying a gaming laptop for use for 3-4 months just to buy a better desktop a little while later

seems like an unjust expense

Back