Has there ever been a tell-all thread by former Dynamix employees?

Wow that answers some questions ive had about the whole VU dropping T:V situation.

This part just breaks my heart.

Thrax Panda said:
I present to you:

Marketing Rocket Science Theater

Fishstix said:
QUESTION: Do you think that if VUG supported IGA to make at least 3-4 patches that fixed bugs and gameplay problems, do you think T:V would have been more of a success?

(BECAUSE I CERTAINLY DO, AND DESPITE T:V "sucking" I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT LEFT BECAUSE OF NO PATCH)

No. I think it was officially dead when I went to LA and had the following conversation with the VP of marketing:

Thrax: Can we slide into Q1 so that we're not up against Doom 3, HL2, WoW, the UT 2004, and Halo 2?

Marketing VP: No, we need the Q4 revenue.

Thrax: Then what are we going to do to pump up the marketing for T:V

Marketing VP: We're not going to spend anything on TV, it's going to get eaten alive by all those other titles!

When we shipped T2 we drank Dom Perignon from Dixie Cups while we signed something like 200 boxes with metallic ink.

When we shipped T2 we drank Dom Perignon from Dixie Cups while we signed something like 200 boxes with metallic ink.

The real question is how often were the coders drinking while working? It would explain why there were so many problems with the game. I LOVED those Unhandled Exception errors!

PushButton Labs (founded by Jeff Tunnel and Rick Overman in 2008) recently bought the rights the Incredible Machine series. I hope they make another kick ass game.

The real question is how often were the coders drinking while working? It would explain why there were so many problems with the game. I LOVED those Unhandled Exception errors!

Or that the game was not really done and shoved out the door before they could get it cleaned up.

Yeah the exception errors really sucked. The Tribes team was disintegrating, many of the the original team members were gone, and there were forces beyond local control pushing it out the door too early. Kind of depressing really.

There was not a lot of drinking on the clock even when the cases of beer started showing up. We drank after hours and played a whole lot of games. On second thought I guess that was work too.

Last edited:
Front Page Sports games were awesome. :\

There are some things I don't really think I should mention regarding the demise of the FPS games, this industry is just too small.

We had an entire mo-cap range of motions for a new branch of the franchise that could have been another kick ass product.

Last edited:
So what are you up to nowadays? Workin on anything?

Regardless, after all the patch BS, T2 ended up being a damn good game and a great memory.

I still stand by T2, virtually everyone on the team really poured heart and soul into that beast.

Since Dynamix I have worked for a startup or two, spent a few years at EA mainly working on a couple of Bond games (EON and FRWL), and now I work for Activision. Most recent shipped game GH:VH.

A couple of years ago I worked on PS3 Quake Wars which was a major challenge at times but it felt like a distant relative of Tribes. By the end of that cycle I wound up being the lone artist/level wrangler on the ps3 version. A lot of the dev's in England were hard core Tribes players.

Last edited:
I'd say any developer worth their salt has at least played a Tribes game of some sort.

First thing developers should do if they're considering a team based FPS multiplayer game is sit down and force their team to play Tribes.

Section 8 boasted about having fans of Tribes in their developer ranks, apparently they all started playing when Tribes Vengeance came out.

What a shitty game, and oh hey look it's dead already.

I think people give too much credit to the original dynamix devs who came up with the gameplay design of T1. That game, which has all the earmarks of a game designed on a beer coaster after long hours of production on "Starsiege", ceased being played 2-3 months into 1999.

It has all-kinds of lofty and well intended ideas cobbled out of pure creativity and inspired from gameplay that already existed in it's early peers... 80% of which fell to the wayside in the crucible of public scrutiny. The game players were soon playing, bore little resemblance to the game literally described on the back of the box.

There are some things I don't really think I should mention regarding the demise of the FPS games, this industry is just too small.

We had an entire mo-cap range of motions for a new branch of the franchise that could have been another kick ass product.

I think it was mentioned in that other thread that they shipped 250k copies of them before the purchase and then had all 250k recalled because they didn't work.

Back