Building a new rig...Some questions inside.

Meklar

Veteran XV
Iv been peacing together a new rig, Do all these components mesh with eachother well? The motherboard is an Extended ATX, Wtf is that? Like will that case support the motherboard?

Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - EVGA 017-P3-1296-AR GeForce GTX 295 Superclocked Edition 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - ENERMAX REVOLUTION85+ ERV1050EWT 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Compatible w/Core i7 Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Desktop Memory Model KHX1800C9D3T1K3/6GX - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

The video card says it needs a 12v with at least 46amps. Wtf is that shit? I dont see that power supply putting out that power at all.

Its been a while since iv built a machine so some of these things are new to me, How long has triple channel RAM been around?

Im probably gonna wait one more week and pick up windows 7. But another question is, Is windows 7 worth it? I know some people on here have been using it for a while.

Another question is should I wait for nvidia's DX11 cards? Is DX11 itself worth it?

Now if I read correctly, That motherboard should allow me to use another video card as a PhysX Card. Anyone know if this is true and how you would go about doing that?

Im sure there are a few more questions ill come up with later.

Last edited:
A $500 vid card? Really?

At least you didnt harp on me about the 1k proc....

And who cares what the price is, Im the type of person if your gonna buy something might as well buy the good stuff why low ball myself.

At least you didnt harp on me about the 1k proc....

And who cares what the price is, Im the type of person if your gonna buy something might as well buy the good stuff why low ball myself.
Because once the high end stuff really can show its power, there are cheaper solutions available that are more powerful.

These days, the low-mid end stuff is incredibly powerful. I just built a new rig for $600 (not including monitor) and it's plenty powerful.

Because once the high end stuff really can show its power, there are cheaper solutions available that are more powerful.

These days, the low-mid end stuff is incredibly powerful. I just built a new rig for $600 (not including monitor) and it's plenty powerful.

So your telling me for 600 dollars your gonna be able to buy Call of Duty Modern warfare 2 crank all the settings to there highest, set your res to 1900x1200 have AA and AF cranked and get 60fps, I dont think so.

you wouldn't notice any speed difference between an i7 920 overclocked versus an extreme processor. you're basically throwing ~$700 down the drain right there.

This is the dumbest fucking price list i've ever seen on here and thats saying a lot.

A 1050 watt power supply? really?

So your telling me for 600 dollars your gonna be able to buy Call of Duty Modern warfare 2 crank all the settings to there highest, set your res to 1900x1200 have AA and AF cranked and get 60fps, I dont think so.
No, but that's because I'm not a supernerd.

Now I remember why I dont post here that often. Instead of getting helpfull tips you just get ridiculed.

If you're gonna bitch about what I want to buy go somewhere else, If you wanna help me out and answer some of my questions cool.

thats shockingly similar to the rig i just built.

I went with the 940, and a different mobo (asus p6t professional).

Power supply is probably a bit overkill as well. I believe the gtx 295 only requires 700w

wow same case too...GET OUT OF MY HEAD

(it's huge for a 'mid' size case. it should easily fit that motherboard. Mine has room to spare.)

Last edited:
Back