[praying mantis]on the ceiling of my porch is a [praying mantis]

Vee

Veteran X
so i'm out on the porch smoking a butt and i notice my cat looking past me at the ceiling...

2prfn1d.jpg

i look up and see this mofo creeping around

34hyyig.jpg

haven't seen one of these is almost 20 years, and when i did, i was just a kid living in massachusetts

no idea that they lived out here in socal

shitty low-light iphone pics...

such a cool little bug, what should i do with him?

In socal too. My daughter said she saw a praying mantis. I said, no, there are no praying mantis here in socal, (lived here all my life, never seen one). She pulls me over and shows me a ~two inch long praying mantis... hmmm

I was camping by the Kern River one night a few years ago. I had my lantern out and there were a BUNCH of bugs flying around it. All of a sudden a praying mantis flew in and frantically started chopping bugs in half and eating their insides. Like one every 30 seconds. This went on for a few minutes and a pile of dead bugs grew around the lantern on the picnic table.

In a split second, a praying mantis twice the size of the first flew in, chopped the head off the smaller mantis and began to feast for itself.

It was quite possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen.

Ive found them 4-5 times throughout my life in my backyard in So Cal.

The last time my I offered my Brandon $20 to eat it and he did. We recorded the video. I looked for it for a few minutes but couldnt find it.

That my recommendation.

my favorite bugs from a distance, i feel like i'd scream like a girl if one every landed on me though :D
they're harmless to us

i used to be scared shitless of them as a little kid, caught one in 5th grade using heavy duty gloves and crazy protection... and then my teacher just took it out of my jar and let it rest on her and i realized they're friendly :heart:

Back