[Sqeezebox] Anyone have this, and how awesome is it?

vawlk

Contributor
Veteran XX
I'm looking for something I can move from room to room with good audio and all of the "boomboxes" that I find online are cheap $30 pieces of shit. I ran across this Squeezebox Boom and it looks perfect for what I need but it is a little pricey. Anything better out there?

I also would like to eventually be able to play music in up to 5 areas of our house and have them all be synced to the same audio source. A whole house audio solution is way beyond my budget.

9642.1.0.jpg

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/devices/4707&cl=us,en

Last edited:
If you listen to a lot of music it might be worth $300. Neat concept but you could probably run speaker cable to all of your rooms and get ceiling speakers put in (would probably be more expensive in the long run) but then you wouldn't need to move the boombox between rooms. Since my place is so small (3 total rooms), it wouldn't be as useful for me.

it's probably cheaper to use wifi and just connect your laptop to a cheap set of speakers/boombox and move both of them from room to room.

I like the idea that these devices can sync together to make a whole house audio solution. Syncing audio over wifi is a bitch.

Running speaker wire to 4 locations would involve a whole house audio system and is much more than I was planning on spending. I figured I could use the Squeezebox Booms in our 3-season room and on the front porch and plain old squeezeboxes for the living room and garage/backyard where I already have receiver/amps.

that doesn't work for parties where you might want 4 audio sources playing the same thing.

$200 off ebay. Got a better solution?

why not buy 1 speaker and turn it up to 11? what kind of mansion do you live in?

and you want to spend $800 on this thing? you could get professional wireless speakers throughout your house for that kind of money.

I just want nice background music where ever people might hang out. Music can make or break a party.

I am not against wireless speakers...I just know nothing about them. What are their ranges? Frequencies? Sound decent?

After reading about it, I have 900mhz, 2.4ghz, and 5.8ghz devices in my house. Wireless would probably be a bad solution.

Last edited:
1. Get a Belkin TuneCast II FM Transmitter.
2. Hack it to boost the output.
3. Hook it up to your PC.
4. Tune the stereos in your house to the chosen channel.

You can get the transmitter cheap online. Assuming you have a soldering iron, solder, and a screwdriver it takes all of 5 minutes to disassemble, modify, and reassemble the thing.

When the modification done you should have no problem with reception in your entire house.

Interesting. Although I don't like the idea of the FM transmission, the cheapness of it may win. Still have to buy some sort of radio for each area though.

1. Get a Belkin TuneCast II FM Transmitter.
2. Hack it to boost the output.
3. Hook it up to your PC.
4. Tune the stereos in your house to the chosen channel.

You can get the transmitter cheap online. Assuming you have a soldering iron, solder, and a screwdriver it takes all of 5 minutes to disassemble, modify, and reassemble the thing.

When the modification done you should have no problem with reception in your entire house.
this is really cool
i may try this at some point for mah ifoon

Back