[Fantasy Football] Why Take Running Back First?

Plug

Veteran X
I am a little new to fantasy football and as I look at past season total point leaders... QB's dominate RB's. So my question is why are so many running backs taken in the first round and QB's aren't.

Whats the disparity between top QBs and the top running backs? Its not about having the highest scoring guy, its about having the highest scoring team. Most scoring models probably have you better off with a top tier rb and a mid level qb rather than the other way around.

depends on the scoring system

if it looks like this

RB #1 = 300 points a season
RB #8 = 200 points a season

QB #1 = 350 points a season
QB #8 = 310 points a season

you see? you win by point disparity.

Rayn pretty much summed it up. Unless you get Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Drew Brees, the drop off in points from them to lower tier QBs isn't nearly as great as elite RBs.

depends on the scoring system

if it looks like this

RB #1 = 300 points a season
RB #8 = 200 points a season

QB #1 = 350 points a season
QB #8 = 310 points a season

you see? you win by point disparity.

This is my league

Passing Yards 20 yards per point (normally 25 per point)
Passing Touchdowns 4
Interceptions -2 (normally -1 per point)
Rushing Yards 10 yards per point
Rushing Touchdowns 6
Reception Yards 10 yards per point
Reception Touchdowns 6
Return Touchdowns 6
2-Point Conversions 2
Fumbles Lost -2

The total difference in points from top RB to 10th RB last year was 70 points.

Total difference in top QB to 10th QB was 101 points.

So point disparity is actually better for QB's.

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Last edited:
You can probably wait until 6th round to get a decent QB, pick a kicker last, pick a defense after 6-8 have already been taken. Take a TE only after they will outscore another WR or starting RB.

I semi-agree with asking this question. Now I've been doing fantasy for about 9 years now so I've seen my fair share of different scoring systems. The things I've noticed are that there are usually a few good RB's that have better years than everyone else (see: AP) but every now and then a QB will have an unbelievable season that is untouchable. Peyton from a few years ago, Brees last year, Brady the "perfect" season, etc. So if you actually think it's worth the shot, sometimes it pays off greatly to take that person early and cash in on the far and away #1 QB. Or even when Randy Moss had his first year with the Pats dominated the WR field. It's just a risk versus reward thing because if you don't get lucky, you are going to struggle in both categories since the common conception is to take RB's Rounds 1 and 2 so you'll miss out on most anything worth having. Just an idea...

Last edited:
Usually you can field 2 starting running backs and 1 starting quarterback.
Premier quarterbacks are then less in demand than premier running backs.

Back