prosciutto wrapped scrimps and heirloom tomato soup

BadMoFo

Contributor
Veteran XX
Hello friends.

This is a very simple and delicious meal, what is seen here fed 2 quite nicely with no left overs. First I started with some heirloom tomatoes from the backyard, these are quite tasty although I'm sure you could use any type of tomato you would like, heirlooms or something with a very strong flavor will be better.

c281s.jpg

next the cream base for the soup, I used 1/2 cup whole milk 1/4 cup heavy cream, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, basil and some nice irish butter that was mixed in after being cubed up and slowly whisked (after everything had simmered for quite some time). The secret here is to allow the flavors to really marry during the simmer BUT DO NOT allow it to come to boil or it may curdle on you and that's no fun. So on very low heat let it set for 10 minutes or so...I'm pretty sure I let this go longer

21opsfs.jpg

after roasting @ 450 while I was busy simmering the tomatoes look about ready to go, there's some cipollini onion there as well, I used 1/4 of that in the soup for the hell of it.

4kgog.jpg

rinse our shrimps off I think this was a 1/2 pound of 16-20 give or take a little...pretty good shrimp from whole foods

330s7k1.jpg

now that our friends the tomatoes have had the stem removed (left the skins on because they were quite thin, make you're own call here) I've placed them in the pan I used to make the cream base (it's been put through a strainer and set aside after the butter was whisked in) and attacked them with a stick blender to turn them into a nice smooth mixture

2059rmd.jpg

and now we mix the cream base into the tomato soup to achieve the desired consistency, I used I think about 1/2 cup of the total mixture and just tossed the rest oh wells :sunny:

2ljgef8.jpg

started a reduction of maple and balsamic, 1:1 mixture, allow it to reduce to a syrupy consistency. (make sure and use reallly really good maple syrup)

118q0xg.jpg

our pals the scrimps are wrapped in some prosciutto touched with a pinch of salt and just before they go into the oven...

2yzm0di.jpg

a little garlic butter was drizzled on them, the into the oven on broil until they are firm

w4848.jpg

served with some garlic bread and an antipasto salad, soup garnished with diced sundried tomato and crispy prosciutto

16blcfc.jpg

bon appetit!

Last edited:
antipasto salad :)

I dunno, it just reminded me of an antipasto salad I get at a local pizza joint every once in a while.

tried 3 different kinds this year, only the orange ones produced

I think there was a green heirloom, a "mr stripy" (sometimes called zebra) and these orange ones

no idea what they are called really the tags with the names got lost a while ago :lol:

love heirloom tomatoes

not sure why you oven roasted the shrimp and didnt pan sear or BBQ em though...no maillard reaction = less flavour.

yes bitchess im back from honeymoonage!

If you are ever in Sonoma and dont mind dropping $500, go to Cyrus for a spectacular meal - best of the trip, followed by Ame, Canteen and Fleur De Lys.

Back