Windows 7 Upgrade from Windows Vista 64

JJPHATX

Veteran X
Anything special I should look out for while doing this. Not really a tech person, but everybody I know said this should be seamless.

Anything special I should look out for while doing this. Not really a tech person, but everybody I know said this should be seamless.

Its actually totally seamless and fucking awesome. Just run it and your good to go. It will give u the option to delete all of the old shit if you want too. Its great, no left over garbage no issues.

Yeah I've heard bad things about Upgrade, but I really don't wanna go out and get all my shit again.

Will I be able to delete all of vista, but keep my games and music?

Yeah I've heard bad things about Upgrade, but I really don't wanna go out and get all my shit again.

Will I be able to delete all of vista, but keep my games and music?

It will do that for you. Everything just works, and you can install via the setup, no booting from cd etc.

Just back your stuff up to an external drive. Saved games, music, etc.

You should be backing up anything important anyway. The reformat option should be easy.

External drives are dirt cheap. There's no excuse not to have a backup.

You cant go from x86 to x64 anyway. I went from Vista x64 to 7 x64 and it obviously took ages (hours) - since I had a fuckton of crap on my system. Only problem I encountered was when it "recommended" changes before upgrade - they're not actually recommendations, some of them need to be done before you can continue.

Other than that, I had no problems - I uninstalled a bunch of useless shit from my system after upgrading to speed it up some. So far so good.

the upgrade might move your shit in Documents and Settings into an "old windows" folder

i did not know this initially and deleted a lot of my old crap

I upgraded my windows vista ultimate 64bit with windows 7 ultimate 64bit and it went smooth.

The only thing ive seen so far that broken is virtual pc's hook's on the network adapter. I had to uninstall virtual pc then reinstall it so it could put the hooks back onto the network adapters

Careful! You cannot upgrade from Win7 RC->Retail!

You will need to do a complete reinstall (no upgrade possible) when the time comes to ditch RC.

Careful! You cannot upgrade from Win7 RC->Retail!

You will need to do a complete reinstall (no upgrade possible) when the time comes to ditch RC.

wait please explain....will this make a difference after I buy the key anyways? won't they upgrade the same?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/faq.aspx

Can I upgrade from the RC to the final version of Windows 7?

When you install the final version of Windows 7, you'll need to do a clean installation. So plan on backing up your data then reinstalling your applications and restoring your data.
--

Only thing that made me not bother installing it, I can't be bothered dealing with that in the future.

So I'm on 7 now, is there any (easy) way to do a partial image of programs, files, etc so I don't have to redo EVERYTHING?

Back